1: Mikaal

Dalia sat in San Churro Chocolateria, alone, feeling sorry for herself. Looking around the popular cafe that was famous for Spanish doughnuts called 'churros' as well as thick, rich hot chocolate, all she could see was groups and pairs. Chocolate always cured her sorrows, but this time, her Spanish hot companion was betraying her. She was conflicted, not able to simply allow the sweet, creamy liquid numb her feeling of emptiness, unable to dull the ache.

He was leaving, for good, or so she had heard. She had thought that two years could easily be forgotten; she had thought that keeping busy would help her move on. But here she was, hot chocolate for a companion, still being overcome by the permeating pain from the pit of her stomach.

"Dalia!" a familiar voice pulled her out of her sorrowful trance. Dalia looked up but did not recognise the person who appeared to be on his way out but was now standing in front of her.

"Hello," she said gingerly, her expression blank. Meanwhile, in her own mind, she raked her thoughts and memories, trying to work out why the guy's voice seemed so familiar yet she did not recognise him.

"You don't remember me?" he asked, an amused grin spreading across his cheeks.

"Uh," she said, buying time. His green eyes danced too in amusement. 'His voice... his voice... Where have I heard his voice before?' She scolded herself silently for not remembering. She blamed the fact that she had had a lot on her mind for her forgetfulness.

"Dalia, Dalia," the stranger said in a teasing tone and shook his head. "What are we going to do with you?"

Dalia bit her lip and stopped trying to bluff her way through the conversation. "Okay, I'm sorry, I don't remember you..." she said. "How do we know each other exactly?"

But the stranger seemed to enjoy watching her bewilderment. "It doesn't matter really. Can I sit down?"

Before she had a chance to respond, he sat down anyway. "So how is life treating you?" he asked casually.

Dalia remained silent, her forehead creased. How could she bring her mind to draw out an answer when it was occupied with one thing alone - who is this guy?

As if reading her thoughts, the mysterious stranger let out an exasperated sigh and said, "Okay, if this is going to turn into a one-sided conversation, I'll stop teasing you now."

Dalia waited. But he seemed to thrive on her torture.

"Well, you see..." he began, but he paused, distracted by the red, half-empty mug in front of her. "Ooh, is that just the classic Spanish hot chocolate or the spicy version?"

"Listen," Dalia began, no longer amused, "I have to get going shortly." She glanced at her iPhone, pretending to look for the time.

"Wait! I'm sorry..." He flashed her sheepish grin. "It's a twisted amusement of mine, leaving people in suspense... I'm Mikaal."

Dalia waited for him to unveil more - at least how he knew her.

"We do the same Maths unit at UWA."

UWA was a prestigious university that Dalia attended that was known for its beautiful grounds; enormous trees with branches that spread comfortingly wide that must be over 100 years old, and ageing limestone buildings that attracted many newlywed couples who would visit the campus to take wedding photos.

Dalia's expression remained perplexed; the bells still weren't ringing.

"I'm friends with Simon," Mikaal went on.

"Oh, okay." Simon was her best friend who also studied Mathematics 101; they often worked together on assignments. Nonetheless, Dalia couldn't recall Simon ever introducing her to a Mikaal. 'Mikaal,' she said to herself in her head. There was a nice sound to the name. It sounded like the name of someone who was confident and charming in character. A smile took form on her features at the thought that this stranger very much embodied those traits.

"What's that smile about?" Mikaal asked, his eyes curious, an eyebrow raised.

Embarrassed, Dalia said, "Uh, I just remembered something... funny?"

"About my name?"

"No!" she said, her eyes wide with alarm. How was she to get out of this one?

"Never mind," he graciously let her off the hook. Again, that knowing smile pulled at his cheeks. Abruptly, his expression changed. "Ugh," he said as he stood up. "I'm sorry to cut our conversation short. I just remembered I'm meant to be somewhere. I'll see you at uni, Dalia." He hesitated, as if about to say something more, but instead gave her a brief wave and said, "Bye."

"Uh, bye... Mikaal, right?"

"Yes," he said, his grin growing wider. And with that, he disappeared into the cool night.