55: Mikaal

"Will you marry me?"

Dalia was so shocked she didn't answer as she looked at the ring in the small black box. The engagement band was simple yet unique—white gold just like she preferred with a single diamond set within a twist. It was perfect, exactly as she would have wanted it—but how did he know?

Mikaal met her questioning eyes, reading her as she had always thought he could, saying, "I pay attention to what you tell me. We were strolling around the city when we passed that jewellery store. It was a couple of months before your birthday."

She remembered. It was a passing comment, describing what was wrong with the rings in the lit-up glass display. Never in her wildest dreams would she have thought that he was taking notes! "Did you purposely steer us past that jewellery store?"

"Maybe... Okay, more than maybe," he said with a shy smile.

Dalia shook her head, speechless. But then she remembered his earlier statement—he had planned to surprise her on her birthday... A stab of pain shot through her heart and her eyes welled up. To think that what was meant to be a special day had become the complete opposite, tearing them apart...

"Hey, if it's too soon, I'll wait..." Uncertainty coloured Mikaal's voice as his eyes darted from her face to their bushy surrounds then back.

"No—"

His face turned pale.

"Mikaal, don't misunderstand—"

"It's okay," he stopped her, standing up and turning his body to face the view of the city across the river.

"Mikaal," Dalia coaxed, now next to him, tugging at his arm.

"I probably should've thought this through," he said absently while refusing to look at her. "I know you've only just gotten your memories back... I just thought I lost you once. I didn't want to waste a moment—"

"Yes!" Dalia interjected, moving around him, placing a hand on each shoulder. "Yes," she said with earnestness, droplets of happiness streaming from her eyes.

"Are you sure, because—"

She silenced him with her salty lips, wet from her tears.

He met her kiss with fervour, cupping her jaw with both hands before passing his fingers through her silky hair. They kissed as if to make up for the eight months they had lost, filling each other with the overflowing love that coursed through their veins.

As they caught their breath, Dalia traced the space between Mikaal's brows and said, "I was sad thinking about the surprise you'd planned on my birthday and how even more awful that day was..."

"Dalia..." He crushed her into his chest, his warmth enveloping her. "Let's not talk about the past anymore."

"Didn't I just tell you that?"

He laughed as he pulled back to look at her. "Yes, and you brought it up this time."

She smiled. "True." As they shared a quiet moment of introspection, a hint of sadness flickered across her face.

"I know it's not going to be an easy road, with your parents and all," he said, understanding the weight on her mind, "but you're worth the wait and effort."

She beamed, adoration pouring out of her eyes. "I love you."

"I love you, Dalia." Mikaal kissed her again before they both remained content, basking in the warmth of their embrace against the chill in the air as the sun gently disappeared below the horizon. Their gazes took in the darkening cityscape and the sky that was awash with hues of yellow, orange and pink.

A calm descended from their shoulders, both looking forward, both hopeful.

---

Hellooooo!

PHEW! We made it! The end (of this book at least - but yes, there needs to be a part 2).

There is one more release before I mark this book 'Complete' - an Epilogue ;-) So keep your eyes open for that next week...

I just want to take this moment to say, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH for your support. Honestly, to think a bit over a year ago, I didn't even know if this would be yet another unfinished story to add to my collection. But YOUR votes, comments and encouragement are the reason I made it!!! So THANK YOU from my bottom of my heart for making a dream come true :-)

Until next week, love love love you all!

-Noelle