45: Mikaal

"My dear, calm down. What's the worst that can happen? He sees you and approaches you?"

"That is bad!" Still hushed, Dalia's voice came out as a hiss.

"He may not even notice you."

"We're in the same section!"

"Well okay, then you're stuffed."

Dalia pulled a face. "Thanks, Ardelle."

"Seriously though, Dalia, just relax. In fact," Ardelle said, her tone turning mischievous, "why not have fun with the situation again?"

"Fun? This is way different to my family! I can't avoid my family."

"You can't avoid him forever too."

Dalia grew mute.

"Just stalk him," Ardelle said simply.

"What?" Dalia almost spoke too loudly.

"Aren't you curious to know how he's been? Here's your chance."

She didn't respond. She had been fighting the desire to see him again—not talk to him, just see him from afar, maybe at uni... But it was too risky.

"I'm right, aren't I?"

An involuntary smile tugged at Dalia's lips. "Maybe... But how? He'll recognise me!"

This time, Ardelle was quiet. "It's cliche but, hat and sunnies?" she asked.

"They're in my car. Besides, it's winter. That would attract everyone's attention."

"Hmm, true... Actually, does IKEA sell scarves or wraps? Not the wool ones, those thinner ones..."

"Like a pashmina?"

"Yes. So that's what they're called..."

"Not sure, but I've already got one around my neck."

"Perfect! Why not wear the scarf around your head? You know, like those Muslim women with the gorgeous patterned headscarves, all colour-coordinated with their outfits."

"That's crazy!"

"Not really. It solves your problem. He definitely won't think it's you," Ardelle said with a chuckle.

Dalia hesitated. "Am I allowed to, like, won't it be offensive? You know, pretending..."

"Nah, I have Muslim friends. They'll think it's hilarious."

Dalia's eyebrows rose. "Really?"

"Uhuh," Ardelle said in an assured tone.

Quietly, she mulled the idea. 'I can't believe I'm even considering this!'

Ardelle interrupted her thoughts. "Dalia, my dear, I have a patient very shortly. Text me later and let me know how you go."

"Oh, sure," she said quickly, greeting Ardelle good-bye.

Alone with her myriad of thoughts, she drew in several deep breaths and her heartbeat slowed.

Her head now clearer, with a shrug, she thought, 'What the hell,' and unwrapped the blue, woven material from her neck and placed it on her head.

Peaks and valleys formed between her brows. 'God, I don't even know what I'm doing!' she thought as she held the smooth fabric in mid-air. She let go and googled, 'Muslim scarf styles', but her head throbbed from the innumerable choices.

'I'm overthinking this,' she realised and crossed the two ends and slung them over her shoulders. So her face would be in shadow, she pulled the material forward over her forehead.