Chapter Twenty Two

The next morning arrived far too soon. And the only thing that was on Maddie's mind was her important yet impossible decision. The family, being the supportive people they were, gave the sixteen-year-old some space, though it was clear that they were more than nervous as to what she would decide. By the time she had finally come to a decision, the day had flown by and it was noon when Maddie called for her family to take a seat in the living room; she sat in front of the vampires and half human, nervously fidgeting with her previous ring in order to somehow ease her building anxiety. "I've...I've made my decision" she declared, making the group share a look of worry and excitement; they remained silent as Maddie sent a glance towards her girlfriend who returned the look with a gentle smile, nodding for her to speak - of course Selena knew what she had decided. "I...I'm going to accept the scholarship and go to Australia" she finally revealed, noticing how a few expressions turned sad as their hearts all dropped; Jasper repeated her words, earning a nod "yeah...both Selena and I are going". Upon hearing this, all eyes widened as they turned towards the vampire as they asked her how "what about the sun?" Esme asked; Selena rose her hand to show then Cullen's and Hale's a silver ring with a green gem "this ring stops me from 'shining' when in sunlight" she explained "that's why I was able to be in Africa before coming here all that time ago". The room fell into yet another silence as the family allowed the new information to sink in "I'll be back in two years and I'll call and text as much as I can" she tried to reassure, as well as cheer her loved ones up; Renesmee was the first to speak up "...if that's what you want Maddie...we'll support you" she smiled, the rest nodding and agreeing to her words before they all took turns to embrace their young man. Although it saddened and hurt them to know she would be leaving, the family wanted Maddie to achieve her dreams and be happy - besides, she'd be back within two years. They could wait for her.

A couple of days passed, and it was finally the day that Maddie and Selena were leaving for Australia. They had packed up their things and were ready to leave for the airport; Maddie's motorbike was going to be shipped over, along with some more heavier items. "Well...this is it, I guess" Maddie said as they stood outside of the loading bay to the plane in the airport; Carlisle embraced his foster daughter tightly as he told her "Call us when you land" which earned a nod "I will, promise". Renesmee certainly had the longest hug with the sixteen-year-old as she stated how much she would miss her 'sister'; Maddie agreed of course, feeling tears begin to form as they hesitantly parted from the other's arms. After everyone had been embraced by the teenager and all their goodbyes had been said, Maddie and Selena picked up their travel bags and locked their hands together as they turned and walked away from the family, making their way towards the door that would allow them to board the plane. Before they walked through the door, however, the couple turned back towards the group - some were crying but they were all smiling encouragingly. Waving to one another, the couple faced the door and finally took the terrifying step towards their future as they made their way onto the plane; there were many tears that day, but there even more smiles. Maddie was going to fulfil her dreams and make something of herself; she had the support and love of her family and girlfriend backing her up. The Cullen's and Hale's would have their young human living with them once again in two years but for now, they could put up with calls, video chats and text messages for now. After all, they were a family. And this family would not be separated that easily.

The End.