CHAPTER ONE

❝I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? ❞

-Ernest Hemingway

∞ ∞ ∞

CHAPTER ONE | THE SPARK

HE HELD HER in the cage of his arms

HE HELD HER in the cage of his arms. She could feel his hands right beneath her chest and just above her waist. They danced together- in the dizzying crowd. Everyone spun around in their bright colored clothes- the sequins shone, the mirrors on the long, billowing skirts of the women sparkled.

Indians were known for their lively dance parties. Especially Gujaratis- which were a type of Indians that Rudra was. Adhira didn't know much about his culture. Even though she was Indian, Punjabi to be exact.

Today felt like a fairytale. As they danced among the crowd, her steps weren't flattering in the bright lights. The weeks of practicing the traditional Guajarati dance Garba had paid off. She could hear his friends cheering them on as they moved among the large circle of dancers. There were smiles around. Rudra's parents were standing by the food stalls, enjoying a light beverage. For the first time, Adhira didn't see resentment in their eyes for her.

Even they, with everyone else, cheered them on. She couldn't have been happier- knowing how much his parents meant to Rudra. She turned around, the silver anklets she wore jingled pleasantly.

"Rudra, your parents." She brushed her fingers against his shoulder.

He gripped her hand. "I know."

Breathlessly, Adhira realized how perfect he seemed when he smiled. The gruff beard, wide face- innocent yet devilish brown eyes- how very enticing they were. She felt her heart skip couple of beats, painfully, quickly. She couldn't have counted the number. He had that effect on her. Even after six years of dating, he still made her feel like a silly teenager.