CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

❝ Even if I find the heart to forgive you, how will you face yourself in the mirror knowing how terribly you wronged me. ❞

∞ ∞ ∞

∞ ∞ ∞

RUDRA WATCHED her- sleeping peacefully. He had promised he would visit her dorm today. Unfortunately, he has lost himself in an urgent case that he completely forgot about his promise. As always.

The night was silent- her roommate had gone out for thanksgiving break. Adhira had decided to stay an extra day just for him. She must have waited all evening for him. Rudra closed the door behind him.

The windows were open, letting the chilly autumn wind caress her beautiful face. Adhira sat on the floor, her head resting on the table- breathing softly. Rudra removed his stethoscope and set it on the table before taking a seat beside her.

He gently caressed her face- feeling her skin- his hands were still cold from the frigid outdoor wind. "Rudra..." Adhira mumbled in her sleep, smiling.

She shifted slightly- Rudra knew that if he shifted his hand one bit now, she would wake up. Adhira always had been a light sleeper. The slightest sound would wake her up.

"I'm so sorry for letting you down again."

She sighed- her breaths fell on his arms, opening her eyes- the rich brown irises stared at him, lovingly. "I'm used to it."

In a daze, she lifted her arms and wrapped them around him. "I'm just glad that you're here. Safe and sound."

"Don't be so easy on me, Kapoor." He whispered, leaning into her touch. It was comfortable- having her here, breathing her mellow floral scent. Strangely enough, he found himself relaxing. The day's tiredness and fatigue leaving him. "Aren't you worried I'll take you for granted someday?"

"I have faith in you, Rudra."

She smiled- in the sparse light- her eyes sparkled. Shining brighter than the celestial lights. She lifted herself and kissed him, softly- sweetly yet passionately. "I have full faith in you." Her lips murmured against his.

∞ ∞ ∞

As Rudra watched her walk away, he realized that she had put her faith in the wrong person. He sat in the dim lights of the hall. His mind abuzz, his heart was still numb as ever. Beat you silly thing- why are you so dead?

"Adhira..." Were all his lips murmured. Strangely, enough- he could feel the hard thumps against his rib-cage. After constantly being surrounded in the thin balance of life and death, one move he would make decided whether the patient would live. He had to decide when to call it quits- when to give up on the fragile body on the operation table- when to signal the time of death.