Chapter 6

James had been quite bothered by Tiffany's call. In all honesty, at first, he had not wanted to take it. When he had walked out of his office his intention had been to go and have dinner. And maybe, he'd had even asked Ms. Waverton to join him. 

But in the end that didn't happen, in the end, he spent two hours on the phone with Tiffany. She started talking to him about how she missed him, and all the good times that they had had and god knows what. 

He had sat there listening to all the lies as they left her mouth. The two of them had dated in the past. Back when he was still in College and she didn't know who he was. The two of them were right for each other back then. She was a party hoe and he had been a party asshole, perfect right? Well, that changed when people figured out who he was. 

Suddenly everybody was nice to him and wanted to be his friend, and he didn't like it one bit. He knew it was just because of is money that they liked him and not because of him. But then he learned something that really hurt him. Even his girlfriend had become nicer to him. She had started acting differently. She would call him more, she would tell him about all the things she wanted and got mad when he didn't give her them.

After a while, he found out that she had been cheating on him with a friend of his and that's when it all fell to pieces. He had walked in on the two sitting on his own couch and sucking faces. 

She had stopped once she saw him and started with the, oh baby this isn't what it seems. He knew exactly what it meant and left the room saying. "Don't even bother." 

After that, he had cleaned up his act. He stopped chasing the girls that just weren't right for him and focused more on his education. Overall most would agree that it made him a better man. Maybe a bit bitter but overall he stopped the partying, the excessive spending and most of the excessive alcohol drinking.

But now here she was, calling him again. He didn't even know how she had gotten the number of his PA. 

She had rambled on about how she missed him and she had made a mistake. Then when he turned her down she got angry and after angry came crying and begging for money. 

He was fuming when he slammed down the phone. As he walked out of his office he noticed Elizabeth was gone, he felt a hint of sadness at that before returning to full-on anger. 

Hell even when he got home he was still angry. He slammed the door behind him as he walked over to the couch once more. Looking at the clock he noted that it was ten at night and he still hadn't eaten dinner. 

He glanced over at the auburn-haired girl across the way and he saw her cooking. For the first time in three hours, he smiled as he watched her dart across the kitchen. For a moment he thought about how nice it would be to come home and to see your girlfriend running around the kitchen like that. Making him dinner when he would come home late and want to know about his day. 

How he would yell, "Honey I'm home." and kiss her on the cheek. How he would wrap his arms around her and she'd get playfully mad at him for almost letting her burn dinner. Then he would tell her that then they could just go out for dinner instead. 

Of course in that scenario, he wouldn't mind cooking for her as well. But just the thought of having someone being there when you get home, someone who actually cares about you, that is what he wanted. 

He sat and watched her before he returned to reality and decided he should get dinner. At first, he thought of taking out but then he remembered that he still had the best assistant for one more day...

He picked up the phone and dialed her number. What he failed to notice however was how the girl across the way suddenly left her cooking and ran over to her purse to find her phone. 

Elizabeth was frantically looking for her phone as she lay halfway on top of the couch where her phone lay. Once she got it she composed herself and said, "Mr. McGregor, how may I help you." A little bit out of breath. 

"I still need to have dinner, any recommendations?" He said on the other end of the line. "Uhm, are you feeling like staying in, or like going out?" She asked him as she sat up straight. "Either one is fine."

He looked back up at the girl and noticed that she was now lying halfway across the couch and trying to sit up. He chuckled as he saw her fumble for a moment before he saw that she was on the phone. 

"I there is a nice Chinese place that delivers, if you give me your address then I can have them sent it up to you," Elizabeth said.

Then something strange happened, the girl across the way stood up and accidentally hit her toe on the coffee table. It was only a few seconds later that he heard Elizabeth mutter a curse word under her breath over the phone. 

"What was that?" He said staring at the girl. "Oh, I'm very sorry sir, I just accidentally hurt my toe." She said before continuing to talk about the restaurant. 

It was then that a theory formed in his head. He couldn't quite see the girls face, for she was too far away, but could the girl from across the way be Elizabeth?