Chapter 37

James frowned as he walked into the building unsure at first if he had the right place. With his phone in hand, he checked the address once more and walked into the gallery. 

Quite quickly he fell out of place, as many people turned to look at him. Though most people were dressed nicely, none of them looked quite like James looked in his Italian suit.  

He looked around, ignoring the people around him, trying to find Elizabeth. Some time ago she had told him that she would be here tonight. He had then proposed going together, which she had dismissed, saying that he would probably be to busy and that it wasn't his scene anyway. 

Soon his eyes fell on Elizabeth, standing there in a gorgeous green dress, talking to a blond man standing next to her. 

"Hi there." James said slipping his arm around her waist. 

Startled, Elizabeth jumped up a bit placing her hand on her chest. "James!" She exclaimed, "You startled me." 

"I know." He said proudly before kissing her, taking her by surprise. 

"What are you doing here?" Elizabeth asked after breaking the kiss. 

"I'm sorry, what?" James said raising an eyebrow. 

"I... I told you not to come..." Elizabeth said looking around watching the people around her looking at them. 

"I don't understand," James replied eyeing Thomas. 

"Let's talk about this outside," Elizabeth said taking his hand and walking towards a door and leaving Thomas behind. 

"What is wrong? Why didn't you want me to come?" James said once the two of them stood in an alley. 

Elizabeth sighed, not meeting his eyes. 

"Elizabeth talk to me." James said tilting her head gently so that she was looking at him. 

"Look, don't take this the wrong way." She said moving away from him, "It's just that having you at an event like this isn't a good idea."

"What do you mean?" He said moving over to her. 

"Tonight, was Phoebies night. But the second that you walk in all eyes  are on you." She started pointing at him. "And I didn't want that to happen, all eyes should have been on her. It is like wearing white to a wedding."

"You could have just told me that." James said not quite understanding where this was coming from. 

"No I couldn't James, I know you. You would have said that you would blend in and then come anyway." she said touching her forehead, "And then the papparazzi would follow behind soon enough."

"So that's what this is about? The papparazzi." 

"Not just that, just-" But he cut Elizabeth off. 

"But it's still about that, look I told you before, it's not something that I can control." 

"And I told you not to worry about it, remember?" Elizabeth said slightly raising her voice, annoyed by his response. "Look it's just you're... You're not like most of my friends, you're not like most people. Once you walk into a room everyone notices you. You're one of the most influential people in this city, hell probably the whole country and it is like you don't even know it."

"I don't understand." James said looking slightly defeated. 

Elizabeth sighed and walked over to him, "Look how about we both go home now, I come over to your place and we'll talk about it there instead of this alley." 

James wanted to reply something, but chose to nod instead as the both of them left they alleyway back into the gallery. 

Elizabeth quickly said her goodbyes to her friends and told them she was sorry, whilst James waited standing behind her. As soon as she turned towards him to leave he slipped his arm around her waist  and the two of them walked out of the building. 

"Did you come by car?" James asked looking around trying to spot her car. 

"No I took a cab." She replied replying to a text. 

"Alright, then I'll hail a cab."

"You came by cab?" Elizabeth replied surprised putting her phone away. 

"No but I told my chauffeur to leave." He said right as a cab pulled up. "Shall we?" He said opening the door for her. 

"We shall." She said smiling and stepping into the car. 

After a short cab drive the two of them arrived at James his building and went inside. Soon they were in his apartment and Elizabeth walked over to the kitchen table putting down her bag there. 

"So tell me." James said walking over to her, "what did you want to say?" 

"Is it alright if I change out of this dress first?" Elizabeth said taking of her heels. 

"Actually I wouldn't mind taking that of myself later." James said walking over to her and putting his arms around her, whispering in her ear. 

Elizabeth smiled, "God you're a dog." She said moving away from him and over to the couch. 

"Alright, let's just get it over with." She said sitting down. 

James sat down in the chair next to her loosening his tie. 

"You're a very powerful and important person. And people know that, they know you, they recognize you. Everywhere you go, everywhere we go, people know who you are, and you draw a lot of attention. Usually I don't mind all that much, but since the paparazzi got more and more involved, I don't like it. I don't like seeing my face on a cover of a magazine, being shielded by bodyguards, I don't like that every time you are spotting with a different girl around you they start posting stories about you cheating.  I don't believe them," she added quickly, "but I don't like them. And tonight, I knew that the second you walked in Phoebe would lose the spotlight and I didn't want that to happen."

James looked away for a second, taking in what she had just said. "Alright, that... that sounds reasonable. But why didn't you say anything? I mean I know you don't like the paparazzi but... still why?"

"Because it is like you don't even notice." Elizabeth said standing up. "I know that you're used to this, but I am not. And neither are my friends."

"Look I cannot change the way others see me, well I can, but it is not that easy. But I can change the way I behave, and if you don't want me there then you don't want me there." He said as she stood up as well and walked over to her wrapping his arms around her. 

"Maybe I should have just told you the truth." Elizabeth said sighing and hugging him back. 

"Now how about I help you out of this dress?" James said suggestively. 

"Oh you dog..."