Chapter 29

Elizabeth looked at him questioningly. "Who?-" She started but was cut off by James. "His very old best friend." 

It was only minutes later that they were walking down a sand path and up to what appeared to be a barn. "You're taking me to a barn?" She asked raising a brow, "I mean I know, I should've gotten the hint before, but seriously James? This does not seem like your style." 

"My style?" A chuckle escaped his lips. "So what is my 'style'?" 

She turned her head to look at him as the two of them kept walking. She could see his poker face cracking with a glint of mischief and amusement in his eyes. She felt the corners of her mouth move up ever so slightly at their own accord. 

"O come on, you're such a city slicker. That outfit on you almost looks like a costume." She said trying not to smile. 

"Right, that's rich coming from Ms. New York over here." 

"Wow, hold up. I'm not a New York native mister." She replied, with the best New York accent she could muster. 

James was about to counter when suddenly a voice rang out from the barn. The two of them stopped in their spots and looked up. Right there at the barn there now stood an old man. 

"Frank!" James yelled to the old man as he started walking over to him. For a split second Elizabeth stood still, a little bit confused by the appearance of the old man. But once she saw the happy looks on the faces of both of the men she walked over to the two. 

She watched as the men hugged like they were old friends. "It's good to see you, Jimbo." The old man as he let go of James. "Good to see you too old man," James said smiling like a kid. 

"So who's the pretty lady?" The old man said turning to Elizabeth. "This is Elizabeth." 

"Ah... the assistant I've heard so much about. We finally meet." The man said extending his hand. "Frank Miller. Nice to meet you." 

"Elizabeth Waverton." She said shaking his hand.

"So you're taking her out for a ride?" Frank asked turning back to James. "I don't know if she's ready for that Frank." He said smiling, "But a picnic for sure."

Frank laughed and smiled, "Well it sure is a nice day for both. You can take Porridge and Fred if you want to of course. They could both use the exercise. 

"We'll see Frank, We'll see," James said laughing. 

For a moment the two men stood there, talking, with Elizabeth observing the two and smiling to herself. She felt strange, seeing such a different side of her old boss. Suddenly that arrogant billionaire was gone and she just saw two friends talking. 

She smiled as she watched the two of them together, it was almost like watching a father and son talk. The second that thought appeared in her head the smile on her face disappeared. 

Quickly she turned her attention to the man called Frank. Looking him upside down she noted that he looked very stereotypical. He was kind of tall, wearing a plaid button up, jeans, cowboy boots, and a large white hat. Other than that he had white hair and a big white mustache. 

The two men talked for quite a while before they said their goodbyes and James and Elizabeth continued towards the barn. 

"So now you know Frank, My dad's oldest friend," James said as he opened the door for her. "He seems nice." 

"He is." 

Elizabeth nodded as she started walking further into the barn. Her eyes immediately went over to the horses as she walked over to them. 

"Ever met a horse before?" He asked her smiling.

"Actually I have, a long time ago. Also, they do have them in central park."  

"Really?" He said chuckling. "Yeah, she did, now tell me what's the plan?" 

"Well either we hike to our picnic spot, or we ride." He said crossing his arms. "Lady's choice." 

"Honestly never ridden a horse before, do you think I'll be safe?" 

"We will just go at a walking pace, you'll be fine." He replied smiling.

Soon the two of them had taken Fred and Porridge out of their stables and started saddling them. 

"So how do you know to do all this?" She asked him as he helped her. "I spent a couple of summers here." He said.

"You see my dad and Frank have been friends since they were children. Originally this ranch was my family's. My dad and his siblings grew up here, and the idea was that once they were ready to take over the family business they would. My father being the oldest son meant that he would inherit everything. Then one day fate struck and both of his parents died the same night, car accident. 

Here he was 23 years old, still studying and not quite sure what to do with an old Ranch that was suddenly thrown into his lap. His best friend, however, Frank, wasn't studying and that' s when he gifted it to him. That way it would stay in the family and someone who actually liked ranched would run it."

"Your dad didn't like the ranch?" Elizabeth asked. 

"He hated it. Something about finding it stupid and not liking horses all that much. Frank, however, loved it." 

"Interesting," Elizabeth said.