Chapter Eighteen: Letting Me Go

“I’m not going to school!” I screamed and threw a pillow to Vince.

            “Damn it, Victoria, you need to go school! Just because a guy doesn’t like you back—.” Ian began screaming back.

            “Just shut up, okay? I’m not feeling well! So just leave me alone. You go tell Suzanne and Miranda to go without me. I don’t want to go anywhere!”

            “Stop being stupid, Victoria,” he said, exasperated. “It doesn’t suit you.”

            “Leave my room, Vince!” I shouted at him.

            “Could you keep your voice down?”

            “Just leave my room and I’ll shut up.”

            “Victoria—.”

            “Don’t you have to go to work?”

            “Ah, heck my work—.”

            I sighed and raised my hands in defeat. “Okay, fine. You win! I’ll take a shower now and you leave my room.”

            He raised his eyebrow. “Are you sure?”

            “Good God, Vince, don’t you trust me? Your little sister?”

            Vince rolled his eyes and left my room without another word. Immediately, I got off my bed, slammed the door shut and locked it. I breathed a sigh of relief and went back to my bed, putting on my earphones, so I won’t have to hear anyone.

            I closed my eyes as I laid down my bed once again, thinking about what happened after I left Ian on his room. I went to the bathrooms and cried my eyes out. I don’t know how long I stayed there. Then the door opened, revealing Evan—who has the key for the bathroom—and Miranda. They were telling me that they’ve been looking for me for ages. But I didn’t say anything. I just stood there, staring at them stupidly.

            It was Suzanne who realized what was wrong. When Miranda and Evan dragged me downstairs, Suzanne was talking with one of the cheerleaders—well, much more arguing—when I saw her. When she noticed me, she quickly dismissed the cheerleader and walked to me. She asked what was wrong and, of course, I just stared at her stupidly. Then she whispered Ian’s name to me and I burst into tears. With that, she told Miranda that we have to leave now. Miranda was having a good time with Evan but agreed. On the way home, I told them what happened.

            When we arrived back at my house, I quickly left Miranda’s truck without telling them goodbye. Hopefully, they would understand. As I walked in, Vince asked me how the party went. I just shrugged my shoulders and ignored him. I walked to my room, threw myself on my bed and slept on my party clothes.

            The next day, I woke up, my head aching so painfully. I took a shower first thing in the morning. After that, I went downstairs to eat breakfast. Vince already left—he and Suzanne are going in a date. So I ate breakfast alone. My phone kept ringing but I always ignored it.

            I ate a hearty breakfast so I don’t have to eat lunch. I stayed up in my room, reading books. But my mind and heart wasn’t in it. I may be looking at the words in the book, but all I can see is Ian Jones’ face.

            It was the same yesterday, which was Sunday. I haven’t even greeted Ian on his birthday on Saturday. I feel bad about that but I don’t want to talk to him or to anyone else. I just wanted to be left alone.