Chapter Twenty-One: Surprising News

Before I knew it, I was sitting on Miranda’s truck as she drove me and Suzanne to school. Yesterday, I tried telling myself I can’t go to school and face Ian but Vince told me that I’ll just have to ignore him. Reluctantly, I agreed with that but knowing me, I’d still give in and talk to him if he begs to.

            I sighed as I watched the houses that we were passing. Why can’t my life be easier? After what happened with Lance, I expected my life to be way easier. But here I am now, broken-hearted once again.

            I tried telling myself that I’m only seventeen and I have a long life ahead of me. Ian is not the only guy in the world—there are tons. Maybe Ian is just an eye-opener in love for me, just like Lance. Maybe the guy that’s destined for me is just out there, waiting for me or broken-hearted for the second time, too.

            But deep down inside me, I know that I can’t make myself love anyone ever again. Because there’s only one guy I would love. And it’s Ian Jones. I know, I might be stupid to be still in love with him. But what could I do? I love the guy so freaking much that it scares me. I never loved someone like him before. And I don’t know how to cope if I trust him and then he’ll hurt me again.

            “There’s that face again, Victoria,” Miranda said, glancing at me worriedly. “Are you sure you’re okay? You don’t seem fine to me.”

            I smiled at her. “I’m okay. And besides, I can start moving on with Ian easier if I can see him everyday.”

            Suzanne frowned at the backseat. “Uh, I don’t know how that works.”

            “Just trust me. I’m really fine.”

            Miranda rolled her eyes. “Yeah, right. You have that sad face again. I know you, Victoria.”

            I just ignored her and the rest of the trip was silent. When Miranda stopped on the parking lot, she glanced at me, worry evident in her eyes. “Victoria…”

            “Seriously, guys, you don’t act like this when Lance cheated on me. What’s the difference?” I asked, a little bit irritated. Sure, I love Miranda and Suzanne very much, but they really are annoying me right now. They weren’t like this before when I was brokenhearted by Lance.

            Suzanne rolled her eyes at me, as if it was obvious. “We know it, Victoria. You don’t need to hide it. We’re your best friends!”

            I stared at her. “Know what?”

            “That you love Ian more than Lance. It’s all over your face! You never look at Lance the way you look at Ian.”

            I sighed. “Okay, okay. I do love Ian more than Lance but… I seriously am okay so please don’t worry. I’m a big girl now and I can move on a jiffy. Just wait.”

            Both of them nodded, but I know that they’re unconvinced. They’ve known me for so long that they can practically read my mind.

            We got out of the car and thankfully, Suzanne brought up the subject about the Literature news Mrs. York is going to say later at lunch break. I hope it wasn’t some play again because I am seriously going to kill that woman in her sleep if I’m going to be chosen to play some English girl—again.

            We stopped on our lockers to pick up our books. Miranda and Suzanne were suddenly quarreling again who’s hotter—Channing Tatum or Gaspard Ulliel. Suzanne is a die-hard fan of Channing Tatum, by the way.