Chapter Twenty-Three: Locked Out

Ring. Ring. Ring.

            “Hello?” I snapped, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I glanced at the wall clock hanging on the wall that was across my bed. It was three-thirty in the morning. I frowned, annoyed. Who the hell would call me in this time of hour?

            “Oh, hi,” Miranda’s familiar voice responded. She giggled. “Why are you still awake? It’s, like, one in the morning.”

            “Nope, it’s three-thirty! And I’m only awake because you called me!” I growled in frustration. I was having a good sleep! “This better be good, Miranda! You woke me up in my beauty sleep!”

            “Aw, jeez, you’re beautiful without a beauty sleep.”

            “Thank you, but flattering me won’t help!” I said, rolling my eyes. “So why are you calling me?”

            “We’re locked out.”

            “Locked out? What the hell do you mean?”

            “You know, locked out. We’re locked out.”

            “Why the—wait, did you just say ‘we’re’? You’re with somebody?”

            “Yeppo. I’m with Evan right now. We’re having a little private moment in the beach after dessert and well—.”

            “Argh, too much information!” I cried. “So let me get this straight. You’re outside with Evan and the door is locked?”

            “Yeah. And I want you to open it for us.”

            “Why me? And don’t you have a key?”

            “I left my key in my room. And I chose you because obviously, Suzanne can’t. I know she’s with her boyfriend right now.”

            “Ugh. Give me five minutes.”

            “Okay. Thanks, love you!” Miranda replied, making smooching noises before hanging up.

            As I put my phone down on the table beside my bed, I sighed. Then I jumped out of bed and rummaged inside the closet, bringing out a short black gym shorts, black tank top and my white jacket. Yep, I slept in my underwear tonight, since the bed sheets were just so soft and cold.

            Anyway, after Ian left me after he saved me from that pervert bastard, I immediately looked for Suzanne and Vince. When I spotted them, I quickly told them about my little encounter with James and how Ian saved me. Of course, Vince got very, very angry when he learned James tried to rape me. He was about to talk to the manager of the beach house, complaining how someone like him is allowed to go inside here blah, blah, blah. But Suzanne convinced him that he mustn’t make a scene. And honestly? I don’t want to make a scene, too.

            I had dinner with Vince and Suzanne since Miranda joined Evan and Ian. By now, Ian had already realized that Evan joined us. Fortunately, he seems okay with it. I ignored Ian all throughout dinner, hoping to forget how his lips felt on mine. So when I finished eating dinner, I immediately went back to my room and decided to have some early sleep.

            These thoughts were floating inside my head as I slipped on the clothes that I prepared. As I put on the jacket, zipping it up, I checked my reflection on the full-length mirror. I shrugged as I glanced at my messy hair. Oh well. It’s three in the morning, who the hell would see me?