SUNDAY MAY 25TH:

A/N: This story contains point of view switches. For example, this chapter is told from Maxwell's perspective (not Nikki's).

Maxwell's Journal:

One week is all it takes to change everything in your life. Had you told me a week ago I would be a student at Westchester Country Day, I would have called you insane.

I was originally a student at South Ridge middle school, but all of that changed when I was selected for the recent student exchange program.

I remember how nervous I was as I opened the envelope to reveal my fate, which school was waiting for me?

The answer I was given, was Westchester Country Day middle school.

Yes! I thought, knowing that this was my one chance to make an impact and leave the animals of South Ridge behind.

Excluding two very important friends of mine, whom I owe a lot to.

Hey, the only reason why I write in a journal and can actually be social is all thanks to Max and Erin.

Eight months of hanging out with them really helped me to escape my shell.

But that's a long story. Onto the more important matter of my exchange placement.

I was given a week to make an impact, to showcase my skills, to show exactly what I was capable of doing on a much grander stage. To present what I can bring to the table in my neverending quest to find something worth fighting for.

And I'm so happy to say that I have succeeded. At the end of the week I was invited into Principal Winston's office. I knew that this was a make or break situation, everything that I have worked for would shortly be judged.

"Maxwell Negrini is it?" he asked me.

"Yes sir." I replied as I took a seat. Formality is of the utmost importance in times like this.

"I have kept a close eye on our exchange students all week, that also means that I have kept a close eye on you. I have an offer that may interest you."

"An offer? Well, I must say that I'm interested already sir." I replied with a smile.

"I'm sure that you're aware that because we only have one month left of the school year that it is too late for me to offer you a scholarship at this school." He told me, shattering any hopes I had.

"Oh, that's disappointing." I said defeated.

"However, as you a ninth grade student, I'm sure that you have made preparations to attend South Ridge public high school next September." he said as he read through a file with my name on it.

"Yes, I have. Not by choice, however. I haven't been blessed with any opportunities to attend anywhere else."

"But what if I told you that there could be somewhere else for you?" His words shot through me, but doubts creeped in.

"I'm sorry, but there really isn't anywhere else for someone like me."

"I have seen what you're capable of doing once you're given a week to make an impact. Now I'm curious to see what you can achieve in a month, and if you impress me enough I will personally arrange a scholarship for you to attend Westchester High next September."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. An opportunity to attend Westchester High?

A further opportunity to showcase my skills at WCD?

A chance at a future, a chance to escape filthy cronies like Thug Thurston?

It was all too good to be true.

"You're bluffing." I denied.

"I'm not. Starting tomorrow, I can offer you a one month scholarship at WCD as a visiting student. If you make a big enough impression with your art grades, then I will grant you the scholarship. The final decision rests in your hands."

It's like all my Christmases came at once, like I opened a chocolate bar to find the last golden ticket.

This is my moment.

"Thank you so much sir, I accept this honor and I won't disappoint you." I expressed my gratitude as I shook his hand.

"I'm glad to hear that, I'll be watching you very closely to ensure that you're not slacking. I don't hand out opportunities like this often. You will be judged accordingly. Knowing what our other scholarship student has achieved thus far, you have a high bar to jump." he warned me.

So, I began this challenge on Wednesday. But...

But...

I'm not sure what to think about Wednesday's events. For some reason I've replayed the situation over and over in my mind like a broken record player.

I'm not sure if I have already made a friend here or not. Could I class that as making a friend?

An acquaintance, perhaps?

That girl...

She reminds me of myself. Like she had given up on all hope, until someone was there to offer a hand and pick her up from the ground.

This girl doesn't appear to be like the other divas at this school.

She seemed very kind and considerate, she may not be very popular but that doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure that blonde girl is bullying her and that's something I cannot stand for. Thug learned his place thanks to Max, so it's about time this bimbo learned hers.

Does she really think that she can dirty this girl's name? Someone who was robbed of their prized possession? Someone as kind, considerate and CUTE as her doesn't deserve such treatment.

Wait... Cute?

Why did I write that?

I mean, sure she's really cute, like someone you want to protect from harm and keep safe but-

WHY am I writing all this down?

Why am I questioning myself?

But she really is undeniably adorable...

Wait!

What is this feeling?...

No, it can't be that I-

I'm interested in getting to know her?
I'm interested in getting closer to her?
I'm interested in falling in love with her?!

Is this what I've been looking for?

Is she my reason to fight?

I must see her again, this can't be our only meeting. This isn't the end, it's only the beginning.

What's the point in denying these emotions if they're how I truly feel?

Who is she?

Does she cry a lot?

I now know what I must do, I must make her smile, I must protect her from those who torment her.

I don't want her to cry anymore, I want her to be happy.

But I don't have much time. If I fail, then I'll never see her again.

I have one month to impress Principal Winston, AND to get to know this girl.

If only I knew her name...