Chapter Two

*picture of Lyra

LYRA
________

Two years after being left with no other option than to accept Alpha Gabriel's offer, I found myself huffing as I was wiping the dirty cloth against the window. In the distance, I had a clear view of the popular three sisters that also resided in the Alpha residency. 

With every cell in my body, I remained composed and fought the urge to roll my eyes when I witnessed Jasmine's arm slide up Gabriel's arm slowly. A grin morphed across the red head as her head dipped in my direction, an evil gaze sweeping across her face. Despite the distance and window shielding me from the eldest sister, I felt a shiver surge through my body, causing me to wipe the already-clean window much harder.

Just like that, Jasmine's gaze was back on Gabriel whom was showing the girls how to swing a golf stick. Every Tuesday afternoon, Gabriel would take the girls to show off his golf skills, which did not interest me in the slightest. He had quickly came to the realisation, and decided that I could stay at the pack house during this time.

According to the Alpha, living in the pack house was being at the front line of the pack and the girls living there were going to help me navigate my way around. The only thing that I had learned whilst living in the pack house was how sly and unfair the girls could be. 

They grew up working for Gabriel and his family. And, for me to suddenly appear, it must have been a shock to them. I was under the impression that they thought Gabriel would make one of them the Luna. They thought it was unfair when I was not destined for him, and I didn't particularly disagree but it was my only token to remain in the pack.

For some reason, I was under the impression that I could find a way out of this mess before I had to be claimed as the Luna. It didn't feel right and after living under Gabriel's wing for two years, I had come to the realisation that this was not right. Perhaps, leaving the pack was not as terrifying as I was telling myself. 

Then I remembered Gabriel filling my head with the dangers of Rogues being attacked on the outskirts of our lands because of our neighbouring pack that quite literally hated our guts. They were the enemy. Leaving this pack meant death for me. The option wasn't much better than the one I had chosen. 

I must have been lost in thoughts, because a loud commotion downstairs brought me back to reality, and the golf course in the distance was now abandoned. Much to my disappointment, Gabriel's voice calling my name confirmed that he was back inside, ready to churn my stomach.  

When I heard Gabriel call for my name, I thought I had just imagined it. But when his voice boomed through the entire house for a second time, I quickly scurried away from the window towards the stairs. 

As I reached the bottom of the stairs, my eyes immediately zoned in on the tall male. He was dressed in a black suit. Gabriel was a very good looking man, and I was sure any woman felt lucky to be near him. I just wished he had found his mate, so he could stop bothering me.

Frankly, I didn't understand why he had given me that ultimatum two years ago. It hardly made sense since he wasn't that lenient with other orphans in the pack.

"Ah, Lyra," his voice brought me back to reality when he noticed me. "There you are, my love."

He stalked towards me in a hurry and roughly pulled me in to him.

"I missed you," he muttered, making me cringe inwardly. "You never let my show you my skills."

Being around Gabriel made me nervous, and not in a good way. He intimidated me and had made his authority clear when I first moved here two years ago. He wanted me to be his under every circumstance.