Leave Your Mark

Thunder

The sound jolts me awake. A chill is running from the bottom of my spine to the base of my neck. Taking the covers pulling them over my head, so only my nose is sticking out. It feels as if there is a breath in the room.

Fingers are becoming colder.

Cracking, flashing light terrorizes the night, as if Nature wants to burn the sky down with her wrath.

Breathing slowly, listening to every sound as the wind shakes the walls, scratching heard on the window glass as if something is itching to claw it's way inside.

Neck hairs are rising, lightning bolts racing across the sky, the light coming in from the space in the curtains.

Another roar of angry thunder rumbles the inside of the house.  jumping up, taking my blanket and pillow into the closet and shutting the door.

Terror, pure raw terror paralyzes my diaphragm with the inability to take a breath inwards, or scream outwards.

Charlie, Charlie, something seems to be howling my name over and over again, covering my ears, shutting my eyes. The thunder is in full bloom right over the house, even the air holds an electrified current that tingles the outer layering of my skin, to vibrate into my marrow.

When the closet door opens unexpectedly, it's the highest pitched scream that stream outward right into Odin's face.

He's wet, out of breath as if he ran here.

Bending down he picks me up in his arms as if I am a small pup again. He holds me close to his chest, his fingers going through my hair.

"It's only a storm, Charlie." The words are spoken softly, easily as if there is nothing to fear of storms.

"I'm afraid of storms, Odin." Clutching the fabric of his shirt, taking the deep dark soil scent into my lungs. He's my steady to the racing beat of my heart.

"Why are you afraid of storms?" His fingers continue to stroke through my hair.

"They remind me of you." Saying my truth out, while his fingers stop playing with my hair. I've come to associate the wickedest of storms with him. How at any time he could come and visit me in my room, my safe den. Not knowing if he could snatch me away at any time from my parents, from my home.

"I'm sorry for that." There is a soft quality to his voice, that apologizes to me. Taken by surprise, I've never heard Odin apologize before, not to anyone, and especially not to me.

The tone of him changes. "It was more to show your father that I could get to you anytime I wanted. But, I can see now, the effects that would have on a young female, for that I'm sorry."

His movement changes.

The hand that was in my hair, travels the length of my spine, back up to my neck, then back down.

"Let me show you how storms should be between us, now." The downward edge to his timbre sound lulls me into him.

The thunder booms, while Odin's hand slides along my outer thigh, creating a hot friction over the outward layering of flesh.

Cheek against cheek

Slowly, but thoroughly he breathes me in.

A fraction of a turn from his head has the curve of his lips touch the edge of mine.

Profound heat surges itself into the deeper layering of my skin.

A shudder of breath before those lips slide overtop of mine.