Chapter 2 - {Holden}

CAMMIE PUTS HER hands on my cheeks, her lips gently brushing against mine. "Let's go get a U-Haul and storage unit. I don't want to have to come back here...I'm ready to put this behind me."

She doesn't have to ask me twice. While I'd love for her to just get what she needs and get the hell out of here, let someone else move her, the weight—the burden—that's been on my chest seems to lighten at the thought of having this behind us.

I nod. "Okay." I glance down and notice she's still wearing those fuck me shoes. I'm such an idiot. Her lean, toned legs are sun-kissed, and those shorts show so much of them. "You should probably change your shoes now."

She shrugs, her lips forming into a smile against mine. "Why?"

"I don't think they're good for moving."

"You're probably right."

I smirk. "I am right."

"Uh-huh. I guess I was just hoping if I wore them long enough, they'd live up to the nickname you gave them."

I slap her ass playfully. "Patience. Go change your shoes. We're already going to get enough looks." What I don't say is that I don't want people staring at her, gawking at her, like her father did in Rind 'N Grind.

She pushes off my chest. "Thought you didn't care about the looks, about people's opinions."

Rolling my eyes, I blow out a breath. "I don't care what people think about me."

"So..."

Glancing away, I twist my face, then look back at her. "I care about what they think about you." That's the best way I know how to put it without saying what I'm trying my hardest to avoid.

"Do you think I look like a whore like my father said? Are you embarrassed to take me out?"

"Goddamn, Cam. I just said I don't give a fuck about what people think of me." I brush my fingers through my hair. "Wear the shoes if you want. But you're going to be uncomfortable, and you're going to draw unnecessary attention...and we're already going to have plenty." Hell, word spreads fast in this community. People probably already know she's broken up with Oliver and that we were together being way too comfortable with our close proximity at Rind 'N Grind.

She nods and walks away. I sigh. Her words from earlier echo in my mind. I can't do this. I know she says she didn't mean them the way they came out, and I'm typically a pretty secure guy, but I can't shake all the doubts that keep going through my head. Damn my father. Damn her father.

 Damn her father

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

NINE YEARS AGO

"HOLDEN! WAIT UP," Cammie says. We've not spoken since the day at the pool, and as much as that's killing me, I can't let today be the day I break. Turning into the boys' bathroom, I walk into a stall and slam it shut before sitting on the commode and letting the water slip past my lids. Not because I miss my best friend, the girl I've been fantasizing about since I noticed how pretty she is. No. Because for a second, I pretended her voice was Vi's, and I almost gave in and turned around. And it's like someone's stabbing my chest right now.