IV

"Hey baby!" My mom grabbed me in a tight hug, rocking me from side to side. "I missed you so much."

"Uh, h-hey," I muttered, still in shock that she was standing in front of me. I hadn't seen her since Christmas and that was six months ago. She told us she'd found a new place two hours from here and that she was going to start over, clean slate. Maybe she was just visiting.

She leaned back and grabbed my face. "Look at you, you've gotten even more beautiful and taller."

And you got even more pale and older, I wanted to say but I bit my tongue.

"Carla," Jordan's low baritone vibrated against my back. His hands were on my shoulders and he pressed me against his chest, away from the cold or away from our mother who he refused to call mom.

"Jordan," she smiled. "Still looking handsome as usual, how have you been - "

"What are you doing here?" he interrupted. That was kinda rude but it wasn't like I expected any different from him. He never really forgave her for ditching us.

"Mom?" another voice called.

Her sunken eyes focused on someone behind us and her smile grew wider. "Noah! My baby boy!"

"Hey." He merely half-smiled, too kind not to return her smile.

"It's freezing outside," she shivered, looking at us expectantly.

"Uh, come in," I offered when no one else did. I felt Jordan stiffen behind me and wondered if I made a mistake by inviting her in.

"Mhmm, it smells delicious in here, what are you guys cooking?" she asked, carelessly throwing her purse and coat on the couch.

"Pasta," Jordan answered, clearly not excited about her presence.

"Did you cook this?" she asked me with a smile, "You were always such a great little cook, you got that from me. I used to make the best dishes, even the neighbors would knock on the door asking for a taste."

"You never picked up a pan in your life, Carla," Jordan commented, busting her bubble.

Her smile was now forced but she refused to falter.

I decided to cut the tension. "Actually, I didn't cook this time, Jordan did. I did make some waffles this morning, there's some leftovers if you want. I'll heat it up for you."

"You're such a sweet girl, Jade," she praised as she patted my cheek.

She took a seat at the kitchen table. "Noah, baby, come sit here next to me. Let me have a closer look at you."

Noah's eyes flickered to Jordan. I saw our oldest brother nod faintly and Noah took the seat next to her. She smiled again - it seemed like that was all she ever did since she got back. She ran a hand through his hair in a way that only mothers do.