XXXIV

"All I'm saying is it's your turn now for the sleepover. So when will you invite us over?" Olivia asked.

Holding a sleepover at my place was the last thing I wanted. I shut my locker and turned to face my impatient friends. "How about this weekend," I sighed, trying to mask the lack of enthusiasm I was sure was written all over my face.

"Don't get too excited," Anna commented dryly. "And we can't this weekend. Angela's cousin birthday party, remember?"

"Next weekend then?"

"I'm free," Anna said.

"Yeah me too. We should check with the other girls before making any plans," Olivia suggested. She closed the distance between us, intruding my personal space and I subconsciously inched away. "So uhm, are your brothers gonna be there too?"

I refrained from rolling my eyes. Of course she would want to know.

"Which one? I got four of 'em," I stated flatly.

"Oh it doesn't matter I guess, I'm not picky," she started saying when Anna interrupted.

"Ashton. Definitely Ashton," she said with no shame.

I shot her a look. "Why? Asking for your mom and sister again?"

"Uh no, I believe that was Kylie's excuse. And everyone knows she has a crush on Jordan."

This time I did roll my eyes and picked up my bag. "I'll ask him tonight, I'll keep you girls posted."

Olivia rapidly clapped her hands, letting out an excited sound - she reminded me of a seal.

"Remind me why we're friends again?" I questioned.

Anna hooked her arm through mine. "Cause you make the best food in the world. And you're not afraid to get dirty. And we share the same taste of music."

"And you have hot brothers," Olivia laughed.

"Wow, thanks," I smiled.

We started walking to class when Anna suddenly stopped dead in her tracks. Her arm was still around mine which caused me to halt too.

"Is that Preston," she said slowly, "... with Angela?"

I looked straight ahead and swallowed thickly. Preston was leaning against Angela's locker, talking to her like they were best friends in the world. His arm was still in a cast and I almost gagged when I could clearly make out Angela's name and three X's written over Kenzie's masterpiece.

"I thought they had broken up?" Olivia said, equally confused.

Angela reached up on the tips of her toes and kissed his cheek. She said something to which he nodded before she bounded off in the opposite direction.