Payback

Payback

Concentrate, Bella.

I had been trying to finish my English homework for the past hour and a half now. Alice was laying beside me on her stomach on her, well, sort of our bed, doodling in her sketchpad. Watching her draw was officially one of my new favorite things to do. She was just so incredibly fluid and expressive when she did.

Alice glanced up from her sketch and caught me staring at her. I tried to play it off and moved to look back at my papers in front of me, but my vampire had caught me red handed.

"And what is that lovely blush for, my Bella?" she asked coyly. I peaked over at her, trying to find an escape from the embarrassment that was about to ensue. I quickly shrugged and practically dove for my pencil as it fell from my shaking hands. Alice giggled next to me before she moved to push my papers off my lap. I tried to grab them back from her, but she instead settled herself above me, straddling my legs that I had outstretched in front of me.

I gulped as she leant closer, her mouth only an inch away from my own. Meeting her gaze, I saw the seductive gleam that she had taken on and I knew that I was about to lose this battle. Alice brushed her nose against mine softly before she spoke.

"Tell me..." she whispered out, a slight husk present in her voice. I shivered involuntarily at the sound. Her grin became cockier as she took in my reaction. I sighed in defeat, knowing that I couldn't win, causing her to responded with a squeak of delight before she leaned back so that she was sitting on my legs.

"It's just that... I really like watching you..." I said quietly, hoping beyond hope that she wouldn't hear me clearly. Of course I should have known better given that she's a vampire and all.

Alice giggled on top of me, lowering us down so that she was lying on top of me. I placed my hands on her lower back and began to gently rub circles against her exposed skin with my thumbs. Alice purred in contentment and we lay quietly together for a few moments. I had just begun to believe that Alice would let it drop when she spoke again.

"I don't know why. I was just drawing." Her voice was quiet yet content and I couldn't fight back the smile that came to me hearing her like that. I squeezed her a little tighter to me, perfectly content to stay like this forever. I had forgotten that Alice was expecting an answer until she moved her chin to rest on my upper chest so she could look at me questioningly.

"Did you know that you change expressions when you draw?" I asked, trying to turn the questioning back on her. She looked back at me confusedly before shaking her head no. I grinned at her soft pout and continued. "Well, you do. You frown slightly when you're drawing a darker line. You smile while you're shading something in. And when you add detail, you look like you're concentrating incredibly hard, almost like you're glaring at the paper. I think I even saw you stick your tongue out a bit at one point," I said, grinning when she gasped at my last observation. She shook her head violently, apparently not wanting to believe that she would ever do such a thing. I chuckled at her childish reaction before I reached up to tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "It's true," I said triumphantly before she swatted my hand away. She was trying to hide the grin that was slowly making its way across her lips.

"You're making that up. I do not stick my tongue out."

"Do so."

"Do not."

"Do so."

"Do not."

"Alice."

"Bella."

"You so do." I said with a laugh. She glared at me before turning her head so that her cheek was once again lying on my chest. I heard her begin to grumble and again chuckled.