14.

Carter's POV

If I didn't want to get Thea out of Westoak I would hav fucking killed that son of a bitch for trying to hurt her. He wouldn't have lived to see another day.

The only reason I'm not turning my car around to kill that fucker is Thea. Thea my Thumbelina, my newly found weakness.

That thought makes me grip the steering wheel tighter until my knuckles are white.

"Carter, why'd you do that?" Ask Thea.

After all the silence in the car she decided to speak first. I was too caught up in what had happened.

If even possible my grip tightens even more.

"He has no right to do that." I reply without an actual explanation.

"Yeah, sure. That's why." She says rolling her eyes.

"Thea just leave it I'm not in the mood."

"Your not in the mood?! Carter I've been here for less then a fucking month and I don't want to be here. I went to my first race here tonight and won. Yippee! Then a sore loser tried to pick a fight with me-no problem. I took care of that. Then YOU intervene when it's not necessary and tried to beat the guy up more. Now you want to say your not in the mood. Bullshit. When have you ever considered that I wasn't in the mood? Huh? When? Every time I see you I want to be anywhere else. I'm never in the mood when you are but that means nothing to you! So why should I care!?" She shouts in anger.

"What did you want me to do Thea?! Let him think it was okay to beat up a girl?" I say calmly, lying straight through my teeth.

"That's not why you did what you did. If he had picked a fight with any other 'girl' there would you have honestly done what you did? Would you have defended her?"

"No, but Thea-"

"But Thea nothing! You fucking claimed me at Westoak in front of multiple gangs. You, Carter just put a fucking target on my back!"

"I didn't want him no go near you again so I gave him a warning!" I shout back.

I pull over on the side of the road. If I continue driving while we 'talk' there's a good chance we'll end up in a car accident. I turn off the car hoping to bring no attention to a sports car pulled off on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

"But you ended up doing something worse Carter!!" She screams.

"Really?"

"Yes really! You claimed me there showing everyone that I was weak-making me seem like you fucking weakness! Thanks to you I'm now a target. After all it doesn't look like the other gangs around here like yours very much."

Not being able to take her talking anymore I lean forward. She's too busy ranting about something else to notice. When I'm close enough I capture her lips.

My one hand goes behind her head bringing her closer to me. She doesn't respond immediately, but she does respond making me smile against her lips.

When I pull away I rest her forehead on hers and say, " Thumbelina you are my weakness," while creasing her cheek.

"Why?" She asks.

"Because I care about you, your my Thumbelina and I won't let anyone hurt you. Not that you need much help with that." I say smiling.

She stays quiet.

"Come on Thumbelina lets get you home."

"No."