iii, tread

Nico clutches the thermos in one hand like a lifeline. The other rests steady above the hilt of his sword. He tries not to think about what this gift might mean. A signal of the gods regaining their strength; Hades' final gift to his son before their demises; a gesture of pity because only Nico is stupid, foolish, unlucky enough to suffer the pains of Tartarus twice and he needs all the help he can get. He refuses hopeful scenarios. He happened upon the thermos by accident, and that is all. Wishful thinking will get him distracted and otherwise killed.

Speaking of distractions, his eyes and mind wander to his companion. Jason matches his pace step for step. He carries himself high, like the son of majesty that he is. He almost radiates in the darkness of Tartarus. Realistically, he knows they're liabilities to each other. Jason is one of the seven, fated to the prophecy above all. Nico knows nothing comes of meddling, whether it's with prophecies, gods, or the dead. So he will keep his head down and fight tooth and nail to get Jason to the Doors. The others need him for the quest, and someone needs to shut the Doors from inside Tartarus.

He should have left Percy and Annabeth to fall. They're stronger than he is right now, and together unstoppable. Being trapped with Jason in the depths of hell isn't appealing--but Nico's stubbornness is beginning to give way to reason. He knows he can't do this on his own. He hates to admit it, but he needs Jason. If they can keep each other alive long enough to get to the Doors, then Nico can take care of the rest. He can kill himself before the monsters swarm him when the Doors swing shut. A service to himself and the crew of Argo II. He'll end his suffering and stop any betrayal Gaea may attempt to coax from his withered body.

He thinks of the last glimpse of Hazel he received before fading into shadow. He hopes he can see her again, that her presence floods him with light one last time before he shuts the Doors.

"Nico?" Jason inquires. "Everything okay?"

"Yes," is his clipped reply. "Just... thinking."

The demigod nods. "What about?"

Jason doesn't need to know the full truth. "Hazel," he admits. His thumb traces the indents of the skull on the thermos, lingering on the glowing line. A thought occurs to him and before he can stop it, he blurts, "I wonder if she's worried." It's selfish, but the thought that even one person cares for him is too inviting to ignore.

"I'm sure she is," Jason says. "But she'll be okay. With how hard she fought to get to you the first time, I can't imagine what she'll do now." He shudders and Nico hides a smirk. "Piper's probably angry at me. Leo, too."

Nico knows Jason's own silence is dangerous. He knows better than to let him worry, get lost so easy in his thoughts. "Tell me about them," he prompts. He does not know them, but he wants to learn of Jason's new life. They must be important to him. He squashes his familiarity with that notion.

So, Jason talks. Leo is funny and he makes good food and he may be a scatterbrain, but Jason trusts him with his life. Piper is beautiful and tough, with soft eyes and a strong spirit that puts Jason at ease.

Nico gnaws his stubby nails and convinces himself he isn't jealous while Jason repeats a joke Leo once told him. Then he hears something, whispering, scuttling, nearby. Nico shuts him up with a hand over his mouth. Jason allows the son of Hades to drag him behind a mound of rocks. They wait, tense shoulders and shallow breathing, while a trio of monsters scurry past.

They overhear snippets of conversation from the dracanae. They praise Gaia and threaten humanity. Jason stares at the hoard with uncertainty. "Nico, I think... I think I've fought them before." He presses a hand to his temple.

"And the first wretch I'll exact my revenge on once we reach the Doors," hisses the head dracanae, "is the contemptible son of Jupiter."

"Jason Grace," the second snarls in agreement.