xii, stolen (love)

Percy's having a rough week.

He's safe, which is good. Annabeth is safe, which is even better. They're well on their way to completing their mission and defeating Gaea. They have the Athena Parthenos, and Reyna is headed their way so they can devise how to unite the Greek and Roman forces alike against Gaea and Octavian's mutiny.

But everytime he closes his eyes, Nico is there in the shadows of his mind. He sees Nico's dark eyes filled with hope, bright, burning hope, the first time he ever saw Percy. A look that has always filled Percy with guilt and pride. How can someone look at him like that? How can he live up to it? The simple answer is, he can't.

He's leaning over the side of the ship, relaxed, staring into the water below. It calmed him before but now all he sees is Nico falling, not even bothering to reach for him, not expecting anyone to slow his descent or catch him.

Percy grits his teeth. These dreams, these visions, have plagued him ever since Nico and Jason fell into Tartarus. No, Nico fell. Jason jumped. He went after him without any hesitation. Percy hates how inferior that notion makes him feel.

He can't help feeling that he's failed the son of Hades. The fact is, he is to blame for so much of Nico's life. He can't understand why, after everything that's happened between them, he is still willing to sacrifice himself for Percy.

But that question has gone unanswered for a long time and he doesn't expect to find an answer anytime soon.

The son of Poseidon jumps when a hand comes to rest on his shoulder. "My bad, Aquaman!" Leo apologizes, scooting back. "Didn't mean to startle you, but we're in Split. Thought I'd let you know. We should assemble a group to go find Reyna and get the scepter she was talking about."

Percy shakes his head, trying to rid himself of his worries. Nico can certainly hold his own, and Jason is with him. "Right, Reyna." Before anyone else can volunteer, he jumps to it, "I'll go into town." Leo is closest so he grabs his hand. "Leo's coming with me."

The son of Hephaestus gives him a curious eye but doesn't immediately protest.

"I don't think it's the best idea to let go of one of our most powerful demigods and the ship's main mechanic," Frank points out, pursing his lips. "I trust you both, but it may be better safe than sorry."

The son of Poseidon claps him on the back and gives a dazzling smile. "Who, us?"

"Frank's right," Hazel says. "I'll go with you instead, Percy. We'll likely be facing Diocletian's ghost. Having a child of the Underworld along with you is the best option."

Leo parts from Percy, giving Hazel a grateful glance as he rests against the helm beside Frank. "Yeah, I'd rather not leave the ship. Festus gets cranky." The figurehead grumbles, a low clanking in agreement. "And I don't think that Reyna's going to be quite keen on seeing me just yet, after the whole getting-possessed-and-trying-to-blow-up-the-forum thing."

Percy narrows his eyes at his shoes. "Sure. Makes sense. Let's go, Hazel."

Truthfully, Percy was hoping to avoid Hazel. He really likes her, she's a great friend, but it's a little much seeing Nico reflected in her cautious nature, her quiet tones, her radiant eyes. He's seeing Nico in everything, and that's what he's been trying to avoid-- everything. Perhaps getting out and about would be good for him. So he holds his breath, gives Hazel a smile, and they leave the ship.

They wander around, keeping an eye out for Reyna and staying alert in case of monsters. Split is beautiful. He enjoys the winding cobblestone streets and brick red roofs checkering the town. They stop by a vendor for some ice cream, who stares at them a little too long for both demigods' comfort.