xvii, dearly departed

Jason tries not to freak out, but walking through the crowd of monsters makes him more than a little sick. His skin burns and blisters; the arai remains stink on his skin. The air is hot and heavy. Nico's chilled hand in his own is all that calms him.

He manages to make his way through the crowd, slowly but surely. Yellow eyes slide over them both with no mention. The monsters blame their bloodlust for their excitable nostrils and hungry minds. Jason is not present as a demigod, covered in burning monster blood and flesh. They don't regard Nico as something tangible, his darkness cloaking him. But that's not all.

Nico radiates some dark, purple energy. It's hard to see through all the red lights, but it's distinctly his. Monsters that get too close yelp and rush off, or back away quietly so as not to provoke him. As though they're afraid of him. Nico is unconcerned, carving a straight path through the shelter of their shadows up to about fifty feet from the Doors.

The Titans are yelling at the next group to get in line. Jason stands still at the back of the group, shoulders tense, anticipating. The monsters sniff around, puzzled as to the source of such a smell, such an energy. Those closest to them both start inching away. But others are baring their fangs and readying their claws. Jason holds his breath.

"Let me through to the Doors," Jason yells up to the Titans. "I have no ill will towards you. My business is with your mother." He squares his shoulders when the Titans direct their attention to him.

Suddenly, Jason is alone. He is alone in Tartarus, surrounded by fire and monsters and Titans thirsting for his blood. No wealth of lava can warm his chilling bones. Nico is so far away, so far behind him. Jason is abandoned. He is lying by the Phlegethon while Nico scavenges the ruins of Arachne's tomb. He is falling in darkness while Nico sees his father. He is trapped in a bronze jar while Percy's hands brand Nico's skin. He is caged in Nyx's hands while Nico slips into the earth. While Leo and Piper suffer without him. While Reyna soars through Atlantic storms. While Thalia runs and hunts.

Alone in the Wolf House. Alone at Camp Jupiter. Alone, alone, and afraid.

He longs to turn and affirm Nico's presence to calm him, but before he can even tilt his head, Nico's voice is in his ear, "Don't look back." He brushes his thumb over Jason's battered knuckles.

The Titans exchange confused glances that turn into uproarious laughter. "So this is the haughty demigod that defeated you on Mount Othrys, brother," the Titan beside Krios leers. "I couldn't believe it until I saw you with my own two eyes."

"Let me through and I'll be out of your sight promptly." Nico feels so far away. Jason is alone in the flaming landscape.

"The entertainment has arrived, Hyperion," rumbles Krios. A throaty laugh rings in Jason's head and he flinches, old battle scars aching again. Monsters begin to size them up, circling around, but Krios puts an end to that when he slams his spear into the ground. The earth quakes and the monsters retreat, shivering under his power. "Good things come to those who wait... And here comes the son of Jupiter on a silver platter."

Hyperion snorts. "It won't be much of a fight. Look how he sways where he stands."

Nico's lips move to the edge of his ear and give Jason jitters that make it hard to concentrate on the Titans threatening to stomp him flat. "Repeat after me, Jason."

"You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by letting me complete my mission," Jason says, trying to maintain their attention. Though the Titans are doubtful, they hang onto every dark and enigmatic word. "Your mother, Gaea, does not care for you."

"She wages war on Olympus, the gods, your father, seeking justice for our sake," Krios bellows. "Our loyalty is right to lie with her."

"She favors the Giants," Nico counters quietly.