Chapter II - A Bactrian Banquet

(Image of Roxana above)

***

Laughter and wealth rang throughout the room. Sturdy, elaborate colonnades supported the roofs, the bright candles lined the walls, and a maroon carpet was stretched across the floor, leading to the throne. There Oxyartes sat, pleased to be beside the greatest commander ever known.  

Giving a sidelong glance at Alexander, he saw that he was staring intently inside the golden goblet, which he swirled in his hand. But he did not bring his lips to it. His hand was drawn back, resting lazily on the back of his chair. He whispered something to the curly brown-haired general beside him, making both of them smirk. 

Soon the general also approached one of the tables. The tables, which had initially been covered by richly trimmed cloth now remained splattered with red liquid. It had began as a drinking competition, each man claiming that he could hold more liquor than the other, but now they were like a group of hyper children, guffawing loudly and slapping each other on the back. The general slung both of his arms around two men, and said something that made them laugh drunkenly. Yet Alexander stayed resolutely in his seat.  

Oxyartes smoothed his beard, disappointed. It was not that easy to please a great commander like Alexander. But Oxyartes had something else prepared, so he decided to pay no heed. He whispered to his servant so that the dances could start.

****

Alexander looked up with mild interest as a group of Bactrian girls softly walked forwards in a line through the colonnades. They were dressed in elaborate, colourful, and jewelled clothing, their hair done in many long braided strands. As they stopped at the centre of the room, the men whistled and hooted.

There was silence before flute-oriented music broke through the air, and the girls began to spin. Their wide skirts created a flurry of colours, their arms, which were stretched out diagonally flew through the air, and wide smiles graced their features.

The commander's mismatched brown and blue eyes focussed on the girl in the middle. Ah, it was the daughter of Oxyartes, who had dared speak back to him at the Sogdian Rock. He hadn't gotten the chance to observe her very closely, but now she looked about sixteen summers old, judging by her youthful face that had not yet finished maturing.

She was the only one who did not follow the motion of the spin. Instead, she was performing a dance entirely different from the others, and was the only one to be wearing a thin orange veil. She maneuvered this veil skillfully, sliding it across her shoulders and her brow, while the flames burning inside the bronze bowls illuminated her face. 

Alexander took in her small, curvy waist that was wrapped in a green sash, her large, doe brown eyes peeking at him from the golden ornaments that hung down from her headdress, and her plump, cherry-coloured lips which she slid into a demure smile. In the midst of the others, who were merely flower petals, she seemed to be the core of the flower, the pollenated part that tasted sweet. Alexander smirked.

As the music faded away, the girls gracefully danced their ways to the back of the room, before disappearing behind the shadows they had come from. The men clapped loudly, the sound echoing throughout the chamber. Immediately the partying resumed.

"My lord, come, don't sit there so. Why don't we join them at one of the tables?" Oxyartes asked.

Alexander looked at Oxyartes, who was gesturing to the tables indulgently. He nodded, smiling and finally rose from his seat. He seated himself at the table with his generals, and Oxyartes hurriedly joined him at his side, some Bactrians following in suit. Once they were all seated, they began to engage one another and soon laughter rose uproariously among them.

It was then that Alexander spotted her again. She was balancing a jug in her arm and her cheeks were flushed as she made her way towards them. She stopped beside him, and gazed at her father expectantly, almost glaring at him.

"My lord, my daughter would like to do you the honours," Oxyartes told Alexander. 

"And I would be honoured," He smiled, and picked up his goblet. The girl stepped forwards and poured the red liquid into his cup, her eyes cast down. He observed her long eyelashes and her lips, which she licked nervously.

"That was a beautiful dance. The Macedonian women couldn't have done any better." Alexander commented.

"Your grace knows no bounds," The girl replied, lifting the jug back up.

"Raise your head," He said, and she did as she was bid. He gazed at her, but her expression did not falter, nor did she cower away.

"Roxana. I know the meaning of that name, thanks to my Persian advisors who have taught me a little bit of your language. It means "little star," does it not?" He asked.

"Yes, my lord." Roxana replied.

"The name is befitting to you, as you are so young, so little, yet you shine the brightest in this room."

"Thank you." She said. "I do not know what to say...to your mindless flattery." There was a shunned silence at the table. Oxyartes was red in the face. Alexander laughed loudly.

"Does anything match the fiery beauty of this Oriental rose?" He asked, stretching out his arms. Immediately it eased the tension, and the men shook their heads amusedly. They resumed joking amongst themselves.

Alexander turned his attention to Roxana.

"I would love to keep such a rose by my side," He said softly.

"A rose needs to be watered and it cannot be plucked from the rose bush to keep unless you want it to wilt." Roxana deadpanned, "and I am not a rose."

"Roxana," her father warned, his tone hard and laced with irritation.

"Yes, father?" Asked Roxana sweetly. Instead of replying, Oxyartes turned to Alexander. 

"I apologize for my daughter's behaviour. Her brashness may be because of a lack of a motherly figure in her life, sadly, she passed away when she was a mere child." Alexander watched the young woman clench her little her fist around the handle of the jug. 

"A fierce character is admirable," Alexander said to Oxyartes, "for they will aid in times of war or arduous journeys that I plan to undertake." 

Alexander gazed at Roxana, causing her to shiver. Her father dismissed her, and he watched as she scurried out of the room. She was very brave for thinking that she could defy him. But he had his eyes set on her, and soon, like Egypt, Persia, and Sogdia, she too would be conquered.