Chapter XXIII - Siege of Espirus

Polyperchon observed the queen as they walked together in the rose garden. Wisps of hair had escaped out of her perfectly braided bun, and she did not wear her sash as tightly around her waist as before. Her brows creased to give the impression of a tired face, and her skin did not look as smooth and radiant as in the days of Alexander. But when she looked around to look at Polyperchon, her eyes alighted. Her lips slowly curved up into a smile.

It was then that Olympias came out of the residence, walking briskly towards them with little Alexander IV in her arms. 

"Is everything to your liking here?" Olympias asked, smiling at Roxana. 

"Yes, you are very gracious my queen," Roxana replied, and carried Alexander IV from her. The baby giggled and played with his mother's hair. On the boy's own head, soft golden tufts had began to grow, while his eyes were brown, inherited from his mother. Olympias observed this with a satisfied look before her countenance became suddenly troubled.

"Another war is upcoming," She announced, causing Roxana's eyebrows to furrow.

"Who is it this time?" She asked.

"Cassander and his army," Olympias replied, albeit a little guiltily, "It seems that he has been consolidating power in the Macedonian court since Polyperchon has fled. He means to come to this city and take it as its own."

"We will prevent him from doing so. We have won the king's army, and we can do it again with a general's.," Polyperchon said, "This time, we will combine my queen's forces with mine. With the right defence strategies, it will not be hard to prevent a siege." Olympias nodded at him and embraced him, taking Roxana by surprise. It was the first time she had seen he majestic lady portray her emotions so openly.

"Thank you, this city is a part of my heart as much as I am a part of the city," she said. "And if after everything we've done we fail, then we shall fail." 

***

It was early in the morning, when the Espirians had not yet began baking their bread. But no one was thinking about bread, for at this moment they heard a loud banging on the city gates. The enemy army was trying to penetrate their blocked city wall. The people inside Espirus sat huddled together. They tried to reassure one another, saying that Queen Olympias' and General Polyperchon's army, who were stationed just inside the city wall, would be able to defend this city. But fear was prominent in the midst of their reassuring.

Thump. Thump. Thump. With each rhythmic banging on the gates, their apprehension grew worse. The Espirian men began to come out of their houses, clubs and sticks in hand. One by one they joined and then slowly paraded down the cobblestone streets. Suddenly, a shrill whistle blew, everyone to jump. They stopped. The worst had come at last. The enemy had penetrated the city all, and now all was over. But as they assumed the worst, silence ensued. There was no yelling, no soldiers barging in and overturning the streets. There was only a dull rumble. The Espirians looked at one another, confused.

"Let us go and see if they have left," the men said to one another, and they went out on to the streets and walked to the city gates. There they were met with shock. The city gates had been opened, indeed, but all of the soldiers on their side of the wall were streaming past and taking up their place with the enemy army. They assembled together and began to surround the city wall. For a moment the men of Espirus looked at this in awe. The Macedonian army, each soldier fully armed in bronze breastplates, iron spears and red capes, stretched out before them. 

"You traitors!" The Espirians shouted, and tried to barrel their way past the soldiers. They were fuming with anger, their eyes livid as they threw themselves against the soldiers who had promised to protect them, grabbing their collars and banging their clubs against their firm helmets. But the soldiers were like a brick wall as they did not break their line formation. It was then that Polyperchon arrived, seated on a tall brown horse. A flurry of dust was created as he halted the animal.

"What is going on here?" He demanded. It seemed that at that moment, all of the soldiers' attentions turned to him.

"Dismount!" They began to shout, "General Polyperchon, you must dismount!" When Polyperchon did not make any move, the soldiers came towards him and began to hem him in from every side.

"What is the meaning of this?" Polyperchon continued to ask. He did not get an answer as he someone plunged a sword into the horse, causing it to neigh and collapse. Polyperchon fell sideways, and tumbled to the hard ground. Before he could recover, the Macedonians took him by the arms and began to drag him.

"Have you men gone mad?" Polyperchon asked, trying to struggle out of their grip. But their grip was relentless and they proceeded to lead him out of the city gates. When the soldiers did let him go, it was not very ceremoniously as they shoved him forwards. The old general almost tumbled to the ground if it was not for one kindly soldier helping to right him.

"Thank you," Polyperchon mumbled, and lifted his head. It was then that he saw a general on a white horse, his straight brown hair blowing in the wind. One of his brows was lifted in a teasing manner and his mouth was curved into a devious smirk.

"Cassander," Polyperchon acknowledged, his hands curling into fists.

"General Polyperchon," Responded Cassander, "I pray you are doing well. How has your visit to Espirus been? Is Olympias' palace as grand as they all say it is?"

"What is the meaning of this?" Polyperchon countered. Cassander smiled.

"The Macedonian court has not been the same since you left, General Polyperchon. I merely wished to bring you back. Come, don't look so sober, are you not glad to see me?"

"No," Polyperchon deadpanned, "I am not glad to see a revolter who foolishly thinks that he is good enough for the Macedonian royal house." Cassander's smirk vanished. He jerked his head to a guard beside him.

"I see that General Polyperchon is not going to come by mere persuasion. Take him." The soldiers grabbed Polyperchon once again, to which he drew out his sword and pointed it to anyone who came near him. But the soldiers pulled out their weapons as well, charged at him, ten men against one. The general fought valiantly, slashing at his front, back, right and left, but the soldiers kept coming and alas one man could not defeat one hundred. They subdued him until he was on the ground with a deep gash on his back. Then they led him out as if he were a prisoner of war.

Next Cassander turned to his army. "Blockade the city gates and the wall securely! No one is to get in, and no one is to get out!" He shouted. Then he added with a whisper,

"And we shall see how well you fare, my royal queens."