Chapter 12

For the next few days, you did your best in avoiding Vishnal but it never worked. He always was following you around wherever you went and you were getting more and more worried. He wouldn't stop until you went his way and if you did, you would never be able to leave. You had finally managed to escape Vishnal. Your victory was short lived as his mother was there. When she saw you, she scoffed and walked up.

"I can't believe you are still here?"

"Me too." you reply under your breath.

"Won't be for long though. A party will be held. There is bound to be a more suitable woman for Vishnal."

"Really?" you say with some interest. For once Duchess Evans was doing something that favorable for you. "So if he does meet a suitable match, he will divorce me correct?"

"If it works out the way intended yes." she replies with pride. "In case you are wondering, you can't go."

"Wasn't intending to. I will pretend to be sick or something." You walk past her pleased with the information you were given. Duchess Evans looks at you with disgust.

"Of all women, why did Vishnal have to love you." she walks away to go to her husband to get more preparations ready.

You made it to the library when Vishnal caught up to you.

"You are a leech did you know that?" you tell him when you see him running up to you.

"Maybe I am. But as long as you are with me, I can be happy." You roll your eyes. Everyday was like this. Him saying sappy stuff and you trying your best not to cringe at it. Being married was really not your style and you found yourself regretting your decision more and more.

"Can I be alone for a bit?"

"But why?"

"Because I enjoy not having to deal with other people." you say entering the library. Vishnal follows you.

"You only say that because you never had any good relation with others. I can help you if you let me try." You turn to face him.

"I have good relations with people. Just not the people you want."

"F/n-"

"You are trying to force me into something I never wanted. If it was Marianne, maybe she would of agreed. But that is because there was a benefit for both sides."

"Why do you have to hate me so much?" he says holding your arm. You could see how genuinely hurt he was. "I haven't done anything truly horrible to you. I always try to protect you from my parents when they come to harass you. So why?" you look down. He wasn't wrong. But you couldn't stay here. You hated it so much.

"This isn't where I belong." you say indignantly. "Living life as the wife of a Duke. That isn't my role. It wasn't supposed to be my role had my sister not been given a proposal from a prince." you shake your arm away and was about to walk when a maid came rushing over to you.

"Excuse me, but a woman from The Order is here and requests your presence." You instantly knew who it was. Saintess Clare. You head over to the parlor room where she is sitting with her caretaker. 

"Hello F/n. Vishnal." she says pleasantly. You both sit down.

"What brings you here Saintess Clare?" Vishnal asks. You could see he was rather tense. 

"F/n had sent me a letter. She told me about your marriage and how you chose to prolong it." Though Clare can't see you, Vishnal wraps his arm around your shoulder.

"Because I love her."

"But she doesn't love you does she?" Vishnal glares at Clare. "Now she had sent a letter to see if we can finalize divorces since there have been occasions where we needed only one person's consent in order for the divorce to be finalized."

"So is it possible?" you ask hopefully.

"Yes and no." she replies looking down. "You see we have very rarely seen people want to be divorced because one party no longer loves the other. And in those cases they were mutual. In yours only you want this whereas Vishnal doesn't. Since he never did any actual harm to you, we can't allow you to divorce until after a year."

"A year!" you shout. "I have to remain married to him for a year."

"I tried angling for as soon as possible but this is as early as I can."

"So this means you can't leave me until after a year." he says happily.

"This isn't right Clare." you say. "Not many people are happy with this union in the first place. There is opposition everywhere."

"I am sorry F/n. I can't do anything. Unless there one of you commits extra martial affairs, abusive or forces someone against their will, you will have no choice but to remain married until a year has passed." You knew no one would believe you would enter into an affair. But perhaps Vishnal will. The party was going to be held in a few days. Hopefully he would of found someone else.