CH26:Two Faded Bonds

Yamamoto frowned slightly, his eyes sharp. It was a strange expression; one that would have stunned anyone who wasn't used to his 'happy-go-lucky baseball star' persona. After all, who wouldn't be caught off-guard by such a drastic personality change?

Brows furrowed, Yamamoto's face reflected the tension in the room. Because Tsuna, who after ensuring that Nana was in stable condition, had suddenly spoken.

"Everyone," Tsuna began. The words came quiet, but they weren't a plea. None of the guardians found themselves able to look away. "Meet me at my house tomorrow morning. I have a confession to make."

There was no waver in his voice, nor the slightest bit of hesitation. Yamamoto's heart twisted slightly in anticipation, anxious over the complete lack of emotion on his sky's face.

Still, he plastered on a smile. He had a job to do.

"Haha! What a funny request, Tsuna!" he beamed. "Why so serious, guys?"

Gokudera growled lowly.

"Be quiet, Baseball-Freak!" he snapped.

Yamamoto chuckled even louder in response. The tension in the room had eased. Even Tsuna was smiling, though the look in his eyes was still age-old and weary.

"Thank you," he said.

Thank you, but for what? The words had put such a sadness in Tsuna's eyes, that Yamamoto wondered if he really wanted to know what was the supposed confession awaiting them tomorrow.

"Don't worry about it, Tsuna." he said anyway, because what else could he be but the rain that tried and tried to wash away the sky's sorrows? "We'll be there for you."

---

And then, tomorrow seemed to come far too soon.

"Everyone, I'm sorry to make you all come here on such a short notice." Tsuna was smiling again, but none of them were fooled.

"Tsuna-sama, there's no trouble! We're honoured, in fact!"

"Yeah, haha! Seems kind of like we're hanging out, right? We—"

"What exactly did you call us here for, Tsuna?" Reborn interrupted sharply. "Get on with it."

Hibari tensed. "Herbivore—"

"Thank you, Kyoya, but please stand down." Tsuna glanced at the tonfas in Hibari's hands, already halfway lifted and glinting in the morning light. A second of eye contact, before Hibari lowered his weapons, glancing away almost petulantly.

Tsuna continued. "I've gathered you here to tell you the story of what happened to Ienari and I five years ago."

Everyone blinked, trying to process. The silence dragged out, and Tsuna let it – half dreading and waiting for a response.

Mukuro was the first to react.

"Are you sure, Zero?" he questioned, eyes sharp and completely unreadable. "I've only heard a part of the story and I already know it's not a pretty one."

Rei and Kouji grimaced. Guilt; there was so much of it, encompassing them wholly as they struggled to find their words.

"You don't have to do this, Tsuna. We can tell them how it happened."

Because they were the ones that had been there, right from the start.

They had been there when Ienari was taken.

When Tsuna was taken.

When Tsuna broke down.

Everything.