Chapter 24

The aroma of spices and tomato sauce filled the air, making my mouth water

The aroma of spices and tomato sauce filled the air, making my mouth water. The metal utensil which I had awkwardly positioned between my fingers felt foreign. The men and women around the table made small chatter as the evening went on and the meals were being eaten. I watched as they shared stories and laughed amongst each other. I did not belong here, here I was the outsider.

I was definitely out of place, too out of place. A warm plate of lasagna, or at least what Luna said it was, sat in front of me. I could not even remember the last time I held a fork, let alone sat at a table or was given a meal. I've always hunted for my meals, fended for myself for years. I watched as the Luna made large helpings of food and now these men and women are just eating like it's nothing, like it doesn't mean anything to them.

I only recognized a few faces around the table. Caspian and his mate sat diagonally to the left of me and seemed to be having a lighthearted conversation.  The two chairs next to me on my right remained empty. Though I could not place a name to their faces, I remembered seeing some of the men at the training grounds. Rebecca was chatting up a storm with a rather good looking guy towards the other side of the table. Every once in while she would suggestively lay her on his arm or giggle loudly at something he said. Everything she would make those actions she would either look at me or Alpha, who was sitting directly to my left. Although he was trying to be discrete about it, unlike Rebecca, he would send quick glances my way, like he was scared that I would just get up and leave.

"Is there something wrong with you food?" A voice sneered, causing all conversation to stop. "It seems you haven't eaten any of it."Rebecca was looking at me with a smug look plastered across her face. "Is it not good enough for you." She edged on. After a few seconds she added a 'Luna' to the end of her sentence in a mocking tone, almost as if she were challenging me, mocking me. All eyes were set on me.

"No." I meant for it to come out louder but my voice was faint, making me sound weak or even scared by her outburst. "No." I repeated myself, this time projecting my voice more. "Nothing is wrong."

"Are you sure?" She was pushing me, seeing if I would snap. "Because you haven't even tried it." I was beginning to grow uncomfortable with all the sets of eyes on me. I ducked my head and tried to hide behind my hair.

"That's enough, Rebecca." Alpha intervened.

"What?" She continued. "Have you never tried it before? Were you that poor or did your parents not care about you enough to feed you."

Her last question struck a nerve. I felt as if I couldn't breath and the look of satisfaction on her face proves that she did this just to prove a point.

"Excuse me." I placed the fork I was holding back to its orginal spot, next to the spoon, and stood up. Quickly, I left the room, my fast pace agitating my injuries and causing me discomfort and  pain. All I wanted was to get to my room, a place where I felt somewhat safe.

I reached the hallway in which my room was located but I was slammed against the wall before I could even get close to it. Even with her high heels she still had to look up at me to flare into my eyes.

"I'm onto you. I know what your doing."

"I don't know what you are-" she grabbed my throat and cut off my air supply before I could finish.

"Save it!" She snapped. "Ever since you came here things have gone downhill. Orion won't even look at me anymore. You show up out of nowhere, take my spot, which I rightfully earned, and embarrass me in front of the entire pack. I will not be make a fool of by you!" She snared into my face. I clawed at her hands, desperately trying to pry them away from my neck. "Ever since you came here the rouge attacks and sighting have gotten worse and I know you have something to do with it." She finally released my neck and I started wheezing for air. "I won't stop until I know your connection to this whole thing and you leave." Shoving me one last time against the wall, she began to walk back towards the stairs. Looking over her shoulder, she added, "I won't stop until you are gone for good."