Chapter one - Apple green eyes

To be given a chance. It was just a thought at first, many things start out as thoughts, I suppose. But this, this was something that could change a little part of the world, if not more. This was so much more than a thought, it needed to be done, it needed to change, it needed a chance.

Most of the people on this earth are not as fortunate in life. Many thrown out of their homes, sent to live out the rest of their days on the streets. Not a penny to their name, with nothing but the clothes on their back. I should know, I used to be one of those people. A person that had nowhere to go, no one to talk to. A person just wondering how their life had all gone to nothing. A person that just wished to be saved. And I was.

After my Grandmother had found a leaflet for a shelter in my backpack, she vowed never to let me leave her house without three meals a day and a bed to come back to. She saved me. And by saved, I mean it genuinely.

When she died I was absolutely devastated... it wasn't until I found her Will that it really broke my heart. It had said she had left me her house and her savings, telling me to spend it as I wished. Telling me to make a difference. Telling me to help. So I did.

I bought an old restaurant building, beds, blankets, everything I needed... I created a charity... a place for the homeless to stay, enjoy meals and have the luxury of a nice hot shower. They stay for as long as they need, until they feel they can go back out into the world. They have a chance here, a chance at normal, a chance at being wanted, a chance to prove themselves.

I like to think I have made a change, at least a little difference. Everyone that I help says that I have, but I just don't seem to believe it.

"Hey, Sam?" My friend and colleague, Marie, proceeds to pull me out of my daze as the newspaper in my hands begins to go limp; the pages lulling to the side. "Anyone in there?" She shakes my shoulder and a groan passes my lips, and a few of the pages fall to the floor; had the newspaper company not heard of staples?

We're both casually sitting in the kitchen at the back of the shelter. It'll be opening time soon since it's almost seven. I let out a sigh and place the newspaper on the nearest bench, picking up the scattered pages and folding them to put them with the rest of the newspaper.

I give her a glance at her, raising one of my brows. "You do realise we still have a least ten minutes, right?" I say, leaning back against the plastic chair. "You haven't even started making the soup yet, and you're whining 'cause I'm reading the news?"

She pokes her tongue out like a child and bobs her shoulders. "Wasn't whining," she states. "You weren't listening to me."

Lighty rolling my eyes and replying with, "Of course I was listening, Marie... now, what were you saying?" I smirk and she shoves my shoulder, causing me to hit my head against the concrete behind me. Wincing, I rub the back of my head, and she lets out a laugh.

"Sam, you're such a tease." She says though giggles while adjusting her dirty blonde hair, which is falling from her pony tail.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes and give her a playful look instead.

Marie springs from her seat when she hears a knock at the back door. I cock a brow in her direction, leaning forward in the chair, about to ask but she hushes me and I sink back against the seat.

"Come in." In come a few people; two women and one guy. Marie turns to me and mouths; "The new volunteers... be nice."

"I am nice," I mouth back. I tilt my head. How come I've just found out about these people now? Since when were we getting new volunteers? Damn it, why does no one tell me anything?