CHAPTER FIFTY TWO

Hisham opened the door to his mansion with a heavy heart.

A very heavy heavy heart.

This was the house he had bought thinking that it would become a home. A home for him, a home for his wife and a home for their children or should he say child?

Who was now dead!

He continued standing near the doorway as his eyes slowly scanned the entire living room area until his eyes landed on the staircase and that is when his already broken heart broke just a little bit more.

This was exactly how he had imagined it all to be.

That he would stand near this very same doorway after work and his little girl would run down the stairs screaming...

"Baba! Baba!"

He would then carelessly throw his workbag on the floor and open his arms wide in anticipation for a hug only for her to come and stand on top of his shoes, a mischevious glint in her eyes.

A mischevious glint similar to his!

He would then have scooped down to carry her in his arms and then they would have

Would have!

That word only depicted his life. His current situation. Everything for him now was just but wishful thinking and he deserved for it to be that way because he had been a coward.

A bloody coward.

A coward because he had not been able to stand up for what was right. A coward because he had hit his wife and a coward because he was now doing what all other cowards usually did.

He was now running away!

He slowly made his way into the house but once again came to a stop when his eyes fell on that one very familiar folder that currently lay on the floor.

The shares!

He had completely forgotten all about them.

He bent down to pick the folder which he remembered having thrown to the floor the minute he had barged into the mansion that evening at the same time wondering as to why his wife had even wanted the shares considering she had not even been pregnant?

Had it been for the money?

No, he doubted it. Her father was way more richer than his father and he very well knew that the last thing Zulekha Akram could ever need in her life was money.

Then why? Just why?

Was it just to disturb him? To make him suffer? To make his life a living hell?

Well, she had succeeded because he was now utterly miserable and he had also literally lost everything.