CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN

"The second thing one should be most grateful for after life, is having a family" - Amalkhan807.

Guilt. Confusion. Worthlessness.

These were just but a few of the words that kept to continuously crisscross through Yasir Hosseini's mind, day in and day out. He had lost his esteem, his confidence, his self-worth and there was one word in particular that just kept eating him up bit by bit and that was the word...

Blind.

The one word that kept reminding him of who he truly was.

A blind man who was incapable.

A blind man who had taken everything and everyone for granted.

A blind man who had not been good enough to be a son, a brother or more so, a husband.

The more he thought about it, the more his heart sank further and further. More and more guilt overwhelmed him and he just could not stop from feeling embarrassed about himself. All his life, he had been surrounded by people who had kept reminding him that his "Disability was not inability" and that he was different in his own special way.

He had grown up strongly believing in that and how could he even have not, considering that he had had his Akhi with him every step of the way? Every single time something would happen that would tend to pull him down, his brother had always been there to pull him back up even higher than he was before.

He shut his eyes, immense pain coursing through his heart as memories of him and his Akhi came flooding back but there was this one special childhood memory that he just could not stop thinking of.

They had been at the park and he had really really wanted to play football with the rest of the kids but they just would not allow him to do so. He had pleaded and pleaded and had even gotten to the verge of crying but the other kids would not hear any of it.

"Please, I promise to only kick when I feel the ball at my feet," he said, his voice quivering, tears threatening to spill out any minute.

"No Yasir, you CANNOT play." was the only answer he got every single time.

"Please..."

"No!"

"And why not?" Hisham had asked and he remembered how he had quickly and tightly circled his tiny hands around his elder brother's forearm hoping that his Akhi would be able to convince the rest of the kids to let him play.

"Because your brother is blind," one of the kids had replied.

"And so?"

"And so, he will make us lose. Go away with him."

A lump had formed in his throat and tears had stung his eyes just by listening to those words but then, what his Akhi had said next was something he knew he would never ever forget.

"You already are losers for not having him on the team."

Hisham had then taken gotten hold of his tiny hand and led him away to a different side of the park.

"Akhi?" he asked as soon as they sat on a bench.

"Yes little bro?"

"Did you really mean what you said back there?"

Hisham had remained silent for a while afterwich he draped his arm around him and said...

"I meant every single word from the bottom of my heart, Yasir. Never doubt it."