Chapter 7 - "I wonder what he will be like?"

The sound of horses hooves echoed through the courtyard as Gigi came trotting in, followed by her riding tutor. Gigi eased the brown mare to a stop with gloved hands. Vic appeared from the stables at a quick pace, his chestnut hair neatly brushed and his uniform as trim as always. He held a submissive expression in place when Gigi looked at him, though his lips twitched at a smile.

She presented an altogether different picture than she had only a three weeks back with her mother. Her black curls were pinned up and half hidden beneath her riding hat. Her once harsh featured face had filled out and her smile poked two dimples into her cheeks. Where her body had been all thin and angular now held curves. And her skin had lightened to a soft tan.

Vic gave Gigi a bow, before taking the reins of the horse and settling a stool beneath her.

"Evening, Lady Genevieve," he said.

"Good evening, Vic," she said, her words now smoothed to a fine, melodious sound.

He held out his hand and she accepted his help as she dismounted. When she settled her boots firmly on the ground, he released his hold. On even footing the height difference was brought into clear view, as he stood a head taller than her.

"How was your ride, Lady?" he asked.

A smile skipped across her face.

"Beautiful as ever, though I wish to explore the city more."

"And you will," her tutor said, "once Lady Brixton thinks you are fit to be seen riding out in the city."

He swung his leg over his horse and dropped to the smooth stone. Gigi looked at Vic and lowered her voice.

"I hope it is soon," she said.

Her tutor moved around Gigi's horse to face her, quieting Vic's amused expression and turning Gigi's grin into something unassuming. He looked at her with his hands clasped behind his back, his horse behind his shoulder. Gigi bowed her head, respectfully to him, though a hint of mischief flashed in the corner of her mouth.

"She knows what is best," she said, raising her head, folding her hands demurely before her.

"Lady Brixton does. Now, that is all for today." He gave her a low bow. "I will take my leave. Till tomorrow, Lady Genevieve. You improve gracefully each day."

"I am honored by such a compliment," Gigi said, perfectly inflecting the words so they were humble, but not overly so.

Stepping back, her tutor easily lifted himself into the saddle. With a bow of his head, he left the courtyard, the clacking of hooves on the stone turning to crunching on the pebbles. The sound drifted off into the air. Vic picked up the stool and guided the horse back to the stables, Gigi quickening her strides to walk beside him.

"How is GrayTail," she asked.

Vic turned his warm, brown eyes on to her.

"Much better," he said.

They crossed the courtyard and walked through a curved ceiling corridor. The sound of their footsteps and the horses hooves doubled in the enclosed space. The echo died down as they entered the high ceilinged stables. Rows and rows of wooden stall doors lined the long building. The smell of hay and dirt lay heavy in the air. The scent brought a smile to Gigi's face, thoughts of her father coming to mind.

Vic lead her horse to a large stall filled with a fresh layer of hay. Leaving him, Gigi moved further down the row. She stopped at a gray horse that eyed her as she approached the door.

"Hello old friend," she said, in Eldin.

The sound was like a breeze whispering through the trees and drew the horse to her. Poking his nose over the door, he nuzzled her hand.