Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Notes: Ava-Rain's POV

* * *

- 'I am standing here just because of you, every part of me is a part of you. . .' -

* * * *

The entire car ride had been silent, a gift that Caleb tried his hardest to maintain for my sake. There had been a million thoughts racing through my mind and a million more questions matching them step by step. If he could, he would have tried to silence and answer them all as best he could. But he couldn't and he knew that; it was why he had given me both the reins and the control to deal with this upcoming encounter as I saw fit. All that he could do was be there and wait for me to go to him when I was ready.

     And I would, undoubtedly, go to him. Despite the uncertainty and confusion surrounding this unexpected situation I found myself in, I would always find my way back to Caleb. And there was nothing uncertain or confusing about that fact. How could there be when he had just proven that he would do anything and everything in his power to keep me by his side? When, even after deciding to walk away from him and the pack, my love and need to protect them all too quickly pulled me back?

     They were my home. He was my home.

     Once the car came to a stop and the engine was cut, something inside told me that silence and I would not meet again for quite some time.

     Just as I mustered up the courage to end the unfair silent treatment, Caleb had already gotten out of the car. Through the windshield, I watched him round the front only to stop halfway and meet my gaze through the window. There wasn't the slightest trace of annoyance on his face nor in his body language, but I was able to catch a glimpse of understanding in his grey eyes before he nodded once, turned his back and leaned against the hood of the car. Leaving me to come out when I was ready.

     I turned my head towards the driver's side and stared at the house across the street. It looked the same as when I had last been there, but who knew better than I did that appearances weren't always everything.

     The well manicured lawn that was cut every Tuesday morning from spring until the end of summer like clockwork was only a mask meant to hide—or, rather, distract—from the dirty secrets hidden inside of the house. And the dozens of gardenias, tiger lilies and pansies planted out front of both the left and right halves of the house were done so at the request of the overly meticulous, obsessively compulsive owner who could easily grow, maintain and nurture a garden better than she could any real relationship. No matter how pretty the house looked on the outside, no matter how warm and inviting it appeared, everything about the bungalow was a lie. A dirty little secret that Kasey and I swore to keep.

     The passenger door opening drew my attention away from the house to Kasey. After unbuckling my seatbelt, I swung my feet out but remained seated inside the car. Kasey crouched down in front of me, taking my hands in hers and resting them in my lap as our eyes met.

     "You don't have to do this, you know that, right? After what she did to you. . .let me go. You don't have to see or speak to her ever again, Ava-Rain."

     "No, I have to do this, Kasey. Not just for me, but for you and for them." I turned my head away from her and glanced at the surrounding pack members. At Caleb, who was still in front of the car, but with Kane and Chase currently by his side. "For him."

     There were too many unanswered questions, and I wasn't going to leave until they were answered. She owed me that much.

     "Then I'll be right there with you, okay? And I make no promises of being on my best behaviour."