Green Eyes

My heart was pounding as the clock stuck 6. Would he come? And if he did what would his reaction be? Did he even get the email?

   Harper had fallen asleep early tonight because she hadn't got her nap in today. And even though she was a pain in the butt because she was tired and grumpy all day, I was secretly thankful that she had. That way if Seth did come the first thing he saw wouldn't be the rambunctious toddler in the living room.

The doorbell rang as if it was right on cue. I swallowed hard and went to the door. I swung open the door. A taller and grown up version of Seth stood in front of me.

"Violet." The word slipped out of his mouth almost like it was foreign. Like he couldn't believe he was standing in front of me.

"Come in." I opened the door for him to walk in.I fiddled nervously with the strings on my sweatshirt. He looked around my tiny apartment.

"It's not much, but it works."

"It looks great Vi. I always did wonder why you never went into interior design."

"Thanks." I blushed. We made eye contact and just kinda stared at each other. I could feel his bold green eyes staring into my soul. It was just a glance, but there was so much hurt and love in that one look.

god i miss him.

"Would you like anything to drink." I broke the silence

"No thank you."

"Oh- well- uh take a seat." He sat on the couch that once sat in the middle of our house.

"So," he rubbed his hands together, "What do you need to tell me?"

A million thoughts rushed through my head. What was I going to tell him? I can't just bluntly say 'you have a daughter'. That seems like a harsh way to tell him that he has had a daughter for the last 2 years. I tried to remember what I had imagined would happen the day we would meet again, but my mind was blank.

"I-I.." All the words I had planned to say were gone. I thought I was ready to face him again, but now I realize I'm really not.

"Just follow me." I got up from where I was sitting very flustered.

"Uh- okay. Are you okay Violet?"

I didn't answer his question because I didn't really know the answer to it myself. I quietly opened my bedroom door and walked in. He stood hesitantly in the living room. I motioned for him to come into my room.

"I think you've got the wrong idea..." his voice trailed off.

"Just get in here you dork. I don't want to do any of that." I laughed bringing some of the humor we used to have in our relationship back. He finally gave in and walked into my bedroom. I lead him over to the crib and pointed to my daughter.

"This is Harper Rose."

He stood still for a second just staring at the sleeping beauty.

He bit his lip and shook his head in disbelief.

"So, that's why you called me here. To show me how happy you are? To show me that you've moved on and you're living a better life without me? Are you really that terrible of a person?" He was running his fingers through his hair.

"Wha- What on earth are you taking about Seth?"

"So where's the lucky man? Where's the father of this child and the 'love of your life' at. Huh? Where is he."

"Seth you're not u-"

"You know what! I'm just gonna leave! It's not worth sitting here and looking at how great and wonderful my life used to be and feeling the guilt of what I did. God I'm so stupid." He hit his head with the palm of his hand and began to leave.

"Seth stop it! You don't understand what I'm saying! That's your freaking daughter in there Seth. I didn't move on! I didn't find another man! I've been too busy raising our daughter! God Seth you're so naive sometime!"

He turned on his heels and took deep breathes.

"Wha- what did you just say?"

"I said that that's your daughter in there. Her name is Harper Rose Wood."

He chuckled in disbelief and shook his head, "So, you can give our daughter my last name and then not even bother to tell me about her?"

"I know- I should've told you. You- you just hurt me so bad Seth. I was head over heels in love with you! The only reason she has your last name is because I always held onto this hope that we would get back together. I- I still do sometimes....., but that's besides the point. The point is- is that you hurt me, so so bad. You left me here with nothing..nothing. It was just me and my baby and I worked my butt off to get to where I am today. I was working countless hours just to support my baby. And it's not like I could've contacted you anyway. You blocked me. You cut off all contact after 6 years...who does that to someone? You can't blame me for not wanting to tell you about the only thing that I would never let you take away from me. Can you?"

Tears were covering my cheeks. This hurt so, so much.

"No...I can't blame you." his voice cracked. He was on the verge of tears. Just then the wails from a sobbing 2 year old started. Our loud voices must had woken her.

"Just wait here for a second." I wiped the mascara and tears off my face with my hands and went to my bedroom. Harper was screaming.

"It's okay baby." I picked her up and laid her head on my shoulder and putting her pacifier in her mouth. I walked back out into the living room.

"Harper, can you say hi?" She sat up and cocked her head at the strange man.

"Hi." she said smiling at him big. She put her arms out to him almost instantly. She wasn't a shy toddler, she was actually very outgoing, but I didn't imagine her to grab onto him right away. Seth awkwardly cradled Harper in his arms. She reached up and touched his face.

"Green!" She put her thumbs at the corner of his eyes and then pointed back at her eyes.

"Ya," Seth chuckled, "We do have the same eye color."

I smiled proudly at my daughter and her father.

"Thank you." His voice cracked, "Thank you for telling me about her."

Seth smiled at Harper and gave her a huge hug. I studied both of them. They were identical. There was no denying that Seth was Harper's father.

"Do you guys want something to eat?"

Both their big green eyes looked at simultaneously.

"Pizza?" I grabbed my cell phone.

"Yay!!!!"

As I dialed the number to order the pizza I realized that my family, all my dreams and happiness were back in my arms, but somehow I wasn't sure if I was happy about it or not.