Moving Day

I placed Harper's last pair of jeans into her clothing box. I taped up the box and hoisted it onto the kitchen counter. I took a deep breath and blew my hair out of my face. This move had come on very quickly, making it exhausting, stressful, and overwhelming. Seth was helping a ton, but he had to work a lot so I ended up packing all the boxes by myself and he would load them on the moving truck when he got off work.

I could ask my family or friends for help, but my family isn't very fond of this idea of me moving in with my ex boyfriend, and I don't want to put too much trouble on my friends lives. Besides, my family is already watching Harper while I do all the moving. I just don't want to be more of a burden than I already am.

I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in! It's unlocked!" I yelled. My mom opened the door with Harper on her hip. I checked the time. It was 6:00 on the dot.

"Wow, it's 6 'o' clock already?" I asked taking my cuddly toddler from my mother's arms.

"Yes. Now, do you need any help?" She looked around at the boxes that kept piling higher and higher.

"No, I think i'm okay. Thank you for watching her, mom."

"Oh, you are so welcome, my dear." She kissed my cheek.

"Well,I'd better head out. Chase has a football game tonight!"

"Oh have fun! Tell Chase I wish I could've been there."

"He knows you'd be there if you could." She gently smiled.

"What can I say! I'm his biggest fan!" I giggled throwing my fist up in the air like a high school cheerleader. My mother laughed.

"Goodbye, silly girl." She patted my back and left my apartment. I set Harper on the ground and she ran over to her toy box and began pulling out Baby Alive's. My phone rang and I picked it up.

"Hello?" I said putting the phone between my shoulder and my ear so I could pack more things up.

"Hello. Is this Violet Cameron?" The deep voice on the other end asked.

"Yes? Who is this?"

"It's Dallas Wesley."

For a second I was confused. I didn't recall giving him my number to him, but then my mind flashed back to the night Harper had to get stitches I sent him my number so we could plan a time to catch up.

"Hi. What's up?"

"Oh I just wanted to make sure you were okay, since you didn't come to the cafe the other day. I waited for a couple ho-"

My heart sank to my stomach. I felt terrible! I completely forgot about the plans we had made.

"I am so so so sorry Dallas! I just got the news I'm moving and I have been so busy! I completely spaced it! I feel terrible!"

"Oh no! It's okay! I understand. Do you need help packing?"

I bit my lip. I really could use the help, but I didn't want to cause any awkwardness between Dallas and Seth.

"Tomorrow. My apartment at 1:00pm. I'll send you my address."

Seth didn't get off work till 7:00pm.

"Okay. Sounds great! I'll see you then?"

"Of course! I'm looking forward to it."

"Me too."

"Bye."

"See ya."

As soon as the line ended I opened up my text messages and sent Dallas my apartment number.

"Mama, play wit me!" She pulled on the hem on my sweatshirt.

"Harper, I really have to finish packing."

"Pweaseeee!" She gave me her puppy dog eyes. She knew I couldn't say no to her big green,watery eyes and her pouty lip.

"Okay, but only for a little bit." I knelt down on the ground and she handed me one of her babies.

"Her name Pink." Harper pointed at the brown haired plastic toy.

"Hi Pink!" I giggled at the silly names she came up with.

"My baby name Harper."

"Oh, Hi Harper." I tickled her belly and she giggled.

I spent the rest of the night playing games with Harper until I finally got her calmed down, bathed, and sound a sleep in bed. I eventually went to sleep myself.

The next day....

At 1:00 there was a knock on the door. I got up from the couch and unlatched the lock. There stood 6 foot tall Dallas Wesley, with his sterling silver eyes and massive muscles.

"Violet! So good to see you." He hugged me in a friendly way.

"It's good to see you to. Come on in."

He walked in and looked around my apartment.

"I'm really close to being done. I just need to pack up a few more of Harper's things and my bed needs to go to the moving truck."

"Who's Harper?" He asked picking up a pink, elephant stuffed animal.

"Oh, uh. Did I not tell you about her? She's my daughter. She's 3 years old."

"Oh. Where's her dad?" He had a jealous look in his silver eyes.

"My ex. You know, Seth Wood."

"Oh." He took a sigh of relief.

There was an awkward silence between the two of us. You could practically hear the crickets.

"Well, if you could just carry out these boxes over here to the moving truck then I can finish packing up the last things. Then we can get out of here quicker."

"Sounds good!" I handed him the moving truck keys and told him where it was at. He picked up a box and headed out the door. I went into Harper's room and began packing up the last things,which were in her closet. Most of them were already stored away in boxes, which made my job easier. There was a small carboard box in the corner of the closet that I hadn't remembered seeing before. I pulled it out and opened it up. There was a blue baby blanket on the top. I lifted it up and saw the pictures of a sonogram. I traced my fingers over the little worm in the photo. There was one onsie with a baseball on it and a picture of me at 16 years old, with a hand under my 11 week pregnant belly. Tears were streaming down my face, but I didn't care. I threw everything back in the box and buried my feelings along with the items in the box.

For the rest of the day, all I could think about was the baby boy that never got a chance to live in this world.