Prologue

Diana followed the spirits. She has been regaled by stories by her mother and father since her infancy of the wonderous and often playful beings that embodied the wild magics of nature, and she had garnered a keen interest over time. On their estate, far outside the city of Caria, surrounded by thick forests preserved by her family for generations. Within these forests, countless creatures roamed them of course also held, including several specials of smaller basilisks to fae elk to even endangered species of golden sheep. Diana's mother had always warded her from these particular areas, as children often go missing either taken by dark spirits or particularly ravenous creatures, no matter how docile they may seem on the outside. But Diana took more from her father, as she could not help herself from going out nearly every night, sneaking from her bedroom window and making her to the forests. The roaming pot-shaped floating golem security was not designed to stop her, only to incinerate unwanted guests. If she avoided the staff, she would hopefully find little trouble for herself. She adjusted her round-rimmed glasses as they nearly fell off her face when she hopped into the brush just a story beneath her bedroom. The gardeners would surely lament the mess she would leave but such things she did not dwell on. Barely footed, she made her way across the garden and through the back lawn of her home, watching the golems float overhead, their painted expressions aggressive and alarming.

      She didn't have to go far to reach her destination. While she often visited either the dragons or the fae elk, today, she knew something special to occur. Both moons, bright and full would align themselves as they do only twice a year. And on these days, moon spirits would be born in a specific location. The forest was just as well tended to as the gardens, leaving little obstacles in her way as she could see the faint glow of moonlight on glistening water.  She brushed stray leaves and twigs from her curly rusty hair as she scanned about the trees. Already her golden eyes caught the faintly glowing shapes of several moon spirits, small child-like beings, some with wings, others taking the shapes of fish and such. She knows little of spirits and their ways, but she knew many were born from mortal concepts and often appeared in abundance. Which is why on this day, when one moon eclipses another, she would witness one of the most wondrous of sights. She ventured deeper into the forest and finally came upon a small lake. Mist clung to its surface, spreading into the surrounding area. Moonlight reflected off its nearly motionless surface and off the mist, making it glow in an ethereal light. And her eyes widened, a joyous smile upon her face as she peered into this mist. More spirits began to form from the most, their shapes becoming more apparent as she could see spirits being birthed before her very eyes. New to the mortal plane, the spirits flew and soared through the air, meeting their elder siblings in dances and circling one another. These spirits of wonder noticed her as well, and many came, twirling and singing soft songs as she waded into the pool, getting the fringes of her nightgown wet as she, too, laughed.

     "Welcome, friends," she said. "More friends. I haven't seen this many before, must be dozens of you."

    A spirit stopped before her, hovering just at her eye level before smiling broadly, and blew a stream of soft, warm air that tossed the last strands of leaves from her. She giggled as she brushed the frayed strands from her face. But then, as she watched the spirits continue their dancing and celebration, she felt an even brighter object suddenly descend from moonlight. The hearts suddenly were still, seemingly entranced by the arrival of this new entity that came before her. Diana knew well to bow her head as she came closer. So bright it was almost hard to look upon her, but when Diana did look up, she could not help but smile more. The brilliant features of this woman, an ethereal beauty marking her as a greater spirit, seemed to call to all the spirits. Her pale face regarded the child with an almost motherly attentiveness and the most polite of smiles. She had no wings like the other spirits but instead dawned a beautiful dress of white and silver and a halo of moonlight behind her.