Chapter 3 The First Lesson

Massia dreamed of nothing. Or at least, that is what it seemed like before. Just a typical pitch blackness of unconsciousness followed by the grim reality of lucidity on this perpetually rocking craft she had been upon for some days now. Though Torakian vessels are renowned for their expediency, she wished it would hurry so she could finally find some solid ground. Sleep, whenever it found her, was a rare form of respite from the sea. And the fact that Gideon paid no heed to this environment was all the more infuriating in a way. So sleep was her escape, an escape from her troubles, her fears, as they were. And yet when sleep found her, it did not come with its usual greetings. She found herself, instead, in a familiar yet strange place. A place she did not believe held any room within her to dream about. The Wild Halls' inner sanctum, where she was dubbed a Black Hand in training. Where she first saw The Matron. The very walls, floors and ceiling were overgrown with vegetation, the air bittersweet with the fragrance of natural fauna.

"What is this?" Makyra was startled by her own apparent lucidity.

"I have come to speak with you, young one," she turned on her heels, her instincts moving her hands to a blade that was not at her side. Not that she would need them, at least she hoped. For it was she, The Matron herself, who would greet her in her own dreams. The tall figure, dressed in all white, and holding the shepherd's crook, walked past her towards one of the many plaques of Massia's to-be predecessors. Even like this, Massia could feel powerful and ancient power rising invisibly from her form. She must of course, be a mage of considerable might to do as she does, and soon Massia will arrive in the land of her people.

"You summon me here, Matron," Massia bowed, though hesitantly, as she did not wish to be idle before the ancient empress of her empire. "Why is that?"

"I has't cometh to speaketh with thee, my dear," she spoke, her voice echoing in and out, not precisely matching her lips as they moved but around. "Thee shall become another of my hands, another of my order, to protect thine empire. I have sparing time to speak with thee, youngling, as my soul is still held firm within the afterlife."

"Ok," Massia shifted her feet uncomfortably. "What . . . what do you want to speak with me about, my lady."

The slightest hint of a smile passed by the matron's usually placid expression. "You, of course. Massia Opal, daughter of the late Knight Wilbur, and the now queen of Liontar. Your brothers are fast becoming renowned in their own rights, as any could plainly see. They do your parent's legacy justice. But there is a war coming indeed that will shake the world, the empire to its core, one that will require you. Tell me, child of my empire, do these circumstances shake you?"

Massia thought inwardly for some time before giving a relenting sigh. "To be honest with you, those things you have mentioned to me have yet sunken in entirely. Not but three years ago, I was just some village girl who worried most about my own complacency. Now I must now not only carry along the worry of my own life but the lives of my family, my home, and millions of people. I can't . . . allow that to sink into my mind; I can't comprehend it fully less I stop moving. And I can't stop moving, not now, not while I can still do something, anything to help. I refuse to be helpless any longer."

The Matron seemed to appreciate her honest words. "Is this why you joined the Black Order rather than become a knight like your brothers?"

Massia shrugged. "I rather not join them in the illuminated gaze of the people. I wish not to join my mother in the politics that will rule us. The darkness of the shadows my family will cast, it is from there I shall find my place, and protect them from all cost, and protect myself."

"Well, I do admire your perspective," The Matron said. "In the early years of the Empire, I was only one of many wives of my beloved emperor, yet I held power few held as a Grandmaster in my time. So I sought to protect us using my talents and repelled many would-be threats alongside my love. And yet it was from the shadows of greed and treachery that my love was killed. So, upon my death, I vowed to continue to protect his empire, as long as I am able, even beyond the veil itself. Gideon too, as well as all who came before you, and shall come after. After you are inducted into this new order, you will learn what it means to do all you can to serve the empire and your family. I trust that this is so."