Chapter 7 A Will of Fire

Diana was met with quite a pleasant surprise. As she exited the front doors of Liberio, prepared to summon Emma to retrieve her from this very long and confusing day, she came upon a scene awaiting her at the front gates. A crowd. A crowd of not only students, but others wearing silver and white cloaks and suits, uniform in their make and intent, and recognizable to all who could see them. They were mages, many carrying the tools of their crafts, socializing with the many students and school staff in idle chat. This was Taurus, the most famous guild founded in Liberio, and the largest. She immediately recognized a few notable faces and names. Gillia, the inbound; Rathon of the coastal order; Cynthia, the Ice Witch. Senior members ok with over a decade of experience as guild members and even some having served in the Torlakian military under her own mother.

As she waded through the crowd, some greeted her, recognizing the crest of The Sol'Louche house. For a moment, she was scared that word of the duel that had been conducted that very moment had reached their ears already, but it appeared that was not the case. No one confronted her on the matter, and the very few who caught wind of the excitement lacked the details, not even that the duel was with a knight from the empire. That brought her much relief, but if she wished to avoid this topic altogether, then she should become scared, she knew. Sooner or later, someone will start asking more questions, questions she didn't care to answer. But still, she could not help herself but be somewhat star-struck. She has wanted to become a Taurus member since childhood; few children who have grown up in Liberio could say otherwise. They are the most prestigious, a stew of the most skilled, most talented, and committed practitioners of the mystic arts that represented the pinnacle of what Torlakian had to offer. Despite the recent controversy with the recent raid on the ruins, she could not take such need to heart. To believe that Taurus would get into a spat with a third-rate guild such as Dark Vigor, how could she believe they to be the aggressor in that scenario? Diana was sure that her father and the military police would get to the bottom of this very soon.

"Ah, there you are," Diana felt rooted to the floor suddenly. Around then, people stopped to gawk as a man approached the young woman. Tall and athletic looking, he couldn't be more than a decade her senior. His curly dark brown hair held within it streaks of black and other muddy colors that spilled from the wide-brimmed white hat he wore upon his head. His robes seemed more luxurious than his compatriots, gold and silver on its fringes, decorated precious gems and metals across his chest hanging from threaded metal chains. His eyes, a dark brown, were gentle and disarming upon her. This was him, in fact. Someone she did not ever could guess she would see face to face. The leader of Taurus. Captain Derrick Rawlins. At his flank were his closest confidants, Cynthia and the Brutish Rathon: Cynthia, is a pale beauty, rumors of her Frostlandic heritage not lost in her appearance. And Rathon, the coastal warrior as imposing as his tales, tanned from decades he spent as a raven in the Torlakian navy. They did not see her, their eyes fixed on the passing crowds analyzing for any potential threat to their master.

"I am honored to meet you at last young one," Derrick said, bowing his head politely. Diana blushed as she hastily bowed even lower, allowing just the fringes of her dress to brush against the cobbled ground. But then, his expression changed for a moment when he noticed something hanging around her neck. But as soon as the expression came, it vanished. Diana did not care to ponder on this shift for too long, though.

"It is my honor alone," she said. "I am beyond in awe. I . . . didn't believe you had a reason to be here at this time before graduation."

"Of course, but recent events have my men collected as of late," he sighed. "We thought it best to improve our image in the wake of these foolish accusations against us. We will be hosting a small fair here at Liberio Academy to scout young talent and host the citizenry in revelry."