Three

Jimin’s POV

I felt bad for asking.

“Don’t apologize, you didn’t do anything.” I nodded, but I noted a hint of anger laced in his words.

“Tell me something else about yourself.” I finally asked. “How did you come to be my personal guard?”

“I do not wish to offend you, Jimin.”

“At this point there really isn’t a lot that can.”

“I needed to be in the castle and this was the easiest job to get. Nobody seemed to want it, nor was there any prior requirements. I could be a musician dressed as a royal guard for all you know.”

“Are you?”

“No.”

“Mmm.” I hummed and went back to drawing.

“What happened to your other guard?” Namjoon asked me. I paused.

“He tried to assault me.” I finally said after awhile.

“He did what?”

“The guard. He attempted to rape me.”

“You do not seem upset.”

“He was quite disgusted with what he found. He was killed right after that by my father.”

“He was...disgusted?” I nodded, but shrugged, not offering anything more, and Namjoon didn’t question it.

“Anyway...I would like to thank you again, Oppa. For being kind to me.” I smiled warmly at him. I smiled wider when I saw his smile.

“What?”

“You smiled.” I said, giggling a little. “I haven’t seen you smile yet.” He immediately dropped the smile and I pouted. “You look handsome when you smile.” I muttered, doing some finishing touches on my drawing.

“Only when I smile?”

“Wherever you go. You could probably make a potato sack look great on you.”

“Pffft…” he tried to hide the smile this time, but I caught it, smiling behind my paper.

“Hyu—Noona!” Jungkook said, coming in suddenly. I looked up, my eyes wide. “Ah! Hyung I knew you’d be here!” Jungkook said, covering up the mistake quickly at my Look.

“Did you need me for something?”

“No.” Jungkook shrugged and sat down beside me. “Noona, you draw so well.”

“Thank you, Kookie. Are you done with your walk?”

“I am. Are you feeling better?”

“A bit. Joonie Oppa has been keeping me company and cheering me up.”

“That’s good.” He nodded and kissed the top of my forehead. “I have to go, I just wanted to check up on you. Mother wanted me to have lunch with her. I’ll see you at dinner, Noona.”

“Of course.” He left and I turned back to Namjoon.

“‘Joonie, huh?” I blushed a little.

“I-I’m Sorry, it just—“

“It’s fine. You’re adorable, princess.” I suppressed the excited squeal in my throat and turned back to my paper.

“I-I finished the drawing!” I announced, turning it around. He studied it, his eyebrows raising slightly.

“You’re very good, Jimin.”

“Th-thank you.” I turned the paper around again and looked down.

“Why do you take the insults?” Namjoon suddenly asked. I snapped my head up to meet his eyes.

“W-What?”

“Why do you let them insult you? Even if you have no power to do anything against them, could you not simply run away, leave it all behind?”

I stayed silent for a bit, looking down. But I sighed, looking back up at Namjoon slowly. “I do not know if you are only being nice to me to open me up and report back to my father so that he may have an excuse to punish me, but I trust you, Oppa. You are the only one who has been kind to me in a long time.” I took a deep breath.

“Many would think, that I as a nobody would be blind to many things, kept in the dark, but I am not blind to the things my father does, how cruel he really is. What he’s done to the South, the neighboring kingdoms all for his greed in wealth and power...I have never agreed with it.

“And the reason I have not run away...is because that would be incredibly selfish of me. I, no matter how many times I am shamed, publicly humiliated and insulted, am lucky. I am a lucky person to live comfortably and never worry about a meal, a nice place to sleep, clothes to wear. To give up and walk away because it was too hard, or I couldn’t take it anymore would be incredibly selfish when I know that so many people have suffered far worse than I have. It would be an insult to them.”

Namjoon was silent.

I sighed once more and got up from my seat, walking across the room. I rummaged around in a drawer and brought out some old letters of mine. I turned and gasped in shock at Namjoon, who was standing right in front of me.

“You’re an extraordinary person, princess.”

“I’m not.” I whispered. “I’m just someone who cares.”

“No, you’re amazing. You are a beautiful and kind person, princess. And don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.” I smiled a little, looking down shyly. I flinched when I felt cold hands touch my face.

But I relaxed when Namjoon led my face gently upwards to look at him. “Beautiful.” He whispered. My eyes widened as he began to lean in.

Oh no.

Panic.

All I felt was panic.

I quickly brought my hand up onto his lips to stop him. “I-I’m sorry, I have never been kissed before.” I said shyly. “And I’ve only known you a day, Oppa.”

“Ah...but such lovely lips I would have thought to be taken already.”

“They have not.” My whole entire face must have been red at this point.

“Then allow me to be the one to take them.” He whispered. “I do not care for how long I must wait, I will be the one to take those lips of yours, princess.”

I felt a shiver run down my spine. All I could do was nod numbly. He pulled away from me and smirked a little.

Well this was new.