Chapter XI, The Monster In The Closet

There I was. In a stuffy, rotting closet. The wood was slowly being decayed by the humidity in the air that was coming through several holes in the apartment, causing a strange bad smell to permeate the air.

Well, the smell was the least of my worries. The 2 infected were searching madly for the cause of the broken window, sniffing the air and growling. Slowly, but surely, they were making their way into the bedroom.

I tried to look through the closets horizontal slits, but it was hard because the slits were angled downwards. I could only see 1 meter(3 feet) further from where I had left my mask, and even that was hard since I had turned of my flashlight and it was pitch black.

After a second or two passed, they finally entered the bedroom with loud creaking footsteps. They moved further into the room, but when they saw the mask they froze; I couldn't see them but knew this because the floor stopped creaking.

'Just a bit closer' I thought. Just a few more steps, that was all I needed. 

I started sweating. There wasn't enough space in this stupid closet and I was suffocating, breathing the same air I exhaled, and I couldn't take deep breaths to calm down either, and I just wanted to get out of here, but I couldn't. I had to wait just a few more seconds.

The bastards moved in closer. Now they were close enough to the mask to see, or partly see; it was so dark that all I could make out were two shadowed figures jerking and twitching, which occasionally made high pitched wails.

After two more steps, finally, they reached the point of interest. They started sniffing inhumanly and violently at the air. They couldn't find what they were looking for and thinking they had reached the end of the trail, they quickly became enraged, giving out an earsplitting scream and roughly picked up the mask in order to smell it.

This moment of confusion was what I had been waiting for. It was now or never. So, without a sliver of hesitation, I materialized my Divine Treasure, harpē, turned on my flashlight, and immediately after burst out of the cramped closet. 

How  harpē looks like

I exited with such force that the rotten doors were swung violently against the walls, breaking them into a hundred pieces in the process. The ghouls were so startled they would have shit their pants if they still had any. 

Without wasting a second, I fisted my left hand and pooled as much power as I could into it. I felt electricity coursing all over my nerves, traveling, and making its way to my fist. A second later, when the creatures started rushing towards me, I made a punching motion and opened my palm, releasing all that magical energy into a concentrated electrical bolt.

The lightning javelin soared through the air, hitting the left ghoul straight in the chest. The blast was so powerful the poor animal went flying into the opposite wall, penetrating it with his skull and going halfway into the bathroom. Blood, little shards of skull, and brain matter were sprayed all over floor and wall next to the hole. The thing was smoking- having been cooked alive- and emitted a horrid smell, like that of cooked meat, albeit rancid and foul. And even after all that, it remained alive for 1 or 2 seconds, twitching once or twice before dying.