Chapter Two: The Dukes

Elsewhere in the town, the king of Yena was celebrating his daughter's sixteenth birthday. Everything was perfect! The cake was made of the finest bread. The ladies and the gentleman were dressed in the finest evening wear. Music filled the air of the ballroom. Laughter filled the whole area and glee was plenty. A rainbow of balloons was everywhere the eye could see. The wait staff and the entertainers wore circus outfit. The roar of a live tiger could be heard by the doorway. All of this the royal adviser, Gin, saw from behind the closed door as he bit his nails.

It was just then the twin dukes of Upland Yena had been stopped by Gin. They were not strapping men, they not left childhood yet nor had they completely enter adulthood. They were at the awkward period of teenage years. Gin turned to the two young men dressed in their fine black suits. Gin nervously said to them, "Your Graces Duke Fred and Duke Edgar, could you spare me a moment? It is an utmost important matter!"

"What is wrong, Gin, old fiend?" Asked Edgar.

Gin swallowed, "My dearest Dukes, it would appear Her Highness Princess Anastasia is not here."

"What do you mean not here-" Fred shouted as Edgar covered his mouth.

"Where has she gone?" Edgar coolly questioned.

"I believed she has gone to the circus over in the park. You know how she does not like formal gatherings," Gin rung his hands together, "I need Fred to stall for time as I get Her Highness back."

Fred grumbled, "Why not just tell the king? He would send out the guards."

"His Highness would have me beheaded from allowing her out of my sight. I had simply gone to chat with the chief of knights about how to transport the tiger inside. And now she is gone!"

"Do not worry, Gin," Edgar slapped Gin's back, "Oh His Highness will be more understanding than he was with the gardener."

"Or the hair stylist," Fred added.

"Or the doctor," Edgar said grimly.

"Or what he was with his first wife" Fred traced his finger by his throat.

"The cat that stolen his lunch," Gin gulped.

"You know how the king loses his temper. He does not ever really harm people. At least now very much."

"I . . . I have a sinking feeling," Gin covered his face.

Edgar went on, " Besides I am sure, Fred with all his acting skills and talent can sidetracked the king."

"How do you suggest that?" Fred rolled his eyes.

Gin sheepishly looked around and answered, "I have a solution of how Duke Fred may help me. I need you to dress up as the princess just long enough for the opening dance and for me to return with Her Highness."

Edgar looked at his brother and nodded, "That is a super plan, Gin. Right dear brother?"

Fred stared at them both, "I will not allow myself to sink to such a disrespectful act."

"Come, come Fred. We are doing this to help Gin. He is a good friend to us."

Fred grumbled more to his self and then, "Fine only because it is you, Grin.