3: Reading between the lines

(IMPORTANTTTTTT: Okay so this is like really long but this basically summarises the situation that creates this new version of Death Note. But it has YOUUUUUUUU. aren't ye excited ;) anyways if this chap is too long please tell me lmao)

Cold.

I hate the cold.

A reminder of the past.

It was always so cold every day after mother died. I never found her sleeping at the fire place when I needed her most. I never knew how much warmth she gave me in the cold. And now what's worse...Rem has been following my every move since. I saw her shadow float above the president and I as we filed into the ICPO, I unknowingly grit my teeth.

Why is she here of all times?...Well I shouldn't be too surprised...She's a Shinigami so of course I'd find her in Japan. But why isn't she in the Shinigami realm?

I couldn't get anything out of her today, she had stayed silent, and everywhere I went a government agent escorted me. Didn't want them to think I was young, naive and crazy. Just young and naive would do.

Inside the foyer It was still so damn cold. A white tiled, teal marble walled structure with bright white lights from the ceiling above. The President had grouped over to a bunch of Japanese agents who eagerly shook his hand, I tailed him and translated the conversation between them all. I noticed the dialect difference between two men with neat dark hair, one with glasses and a sharply groomed beard and the other with wide child-like blue eyes and a not so well made tie. The president had excused himself to head to the bathroom and I was left with the two agents.

"May I fix your tie?" I asked, I realised my manner was slightly intrusive. "Apologies, I'm a creature of habit. I did not intend for my words to come across in a critical way. I guess it's a way we strive to help each other out in the west..." A slight blush rose on the mans cheeks wise wide eyes capturing the light from above, his friend gave a slight chuckle. 

"Sure, Thank you." he gave a slight bow before untying it and resting the tie on his shoulders.

"Wow miss, I've been trying to help him out with that for weeks...Then you come walking in and he doesn't think twice to taking up your offer." the bearded man commented, I gave him a sideways glance and a slight smile before turning back and began fold the tie around the agent's neck.

"It's a man to man thing. Your friend here wanted to show his self-reliance. Unfortunately men aren't the best at dressing themselves unless they are outstandingly flamboyant like yourself." A slight gasp fell from the bearded man, and it was the young agent's turn to chuckle.

"Looks like her gaydar is high-tech. Are you a detective?" I tighten the tie up to the collar and started adjusting, I looked to the bearded man who was still a little shocked. "Not exactly a detective...there's a lot more openly gay people in the west," I folded down the collar and took a step back eyeing the bearded agent as he pressed his glasses closer to his eyes. 

"You my friend are a rare species so think of it as a compliment, also that Valentino suit fits you like a charm."

A small female agent I had come to know as Mary came up to me and gently place her hand on my elbow. "Miss (L/N), Mr President is asking for you." I addressed her with a nod as she walked off. "I'll see you gentlemen around..." I bowed slightly and began following Mary down a well lit white tiled hallway.

"I totally ship you two" I heard the bearded agent giggle to his friend.

"Oh shut up."

I smiled to myself at the small interaction. It seemed to take away from the cold a little. And the stress piling up on the Kira killings didn't help at all. It was time to discover the Japanese task force, and why the american government was getting so involved with this situation.