I don't recognize my family

source: u/jebo123

~

I'll keep this short, but I am seriously freaking out.

When I woke up this morning, I headed upstairs to grab some breakfast from the kitchen. There was no one there, and as I ate, I sat there on my phone, hanging out. Everything seemed pretty normal, at least as far as I could tell. That changed when I heard the footsteps.

You know how you can tell who's walking down the hallway or whatever based on just footsteps? When you've really been living with your family for a while, you begin to pick up on the way they walk, and it becomes second nature, at least it did for me.

I heard footsteps coming down the hallway, but they sounded truly off. It's hard to explain, obviously, but I immediately noticed it. I looked up, just as my sister walked into the kitchen, greeting me with a head nod.

My stomach dropped.

She was the right height, same hair color, whatever else - but she was definitely not my sister. I didn't recognize her at all. This was a stranger walking nonchalantly around my kitchen. Before you say this is dementia or whatever, I'm seventeen. My memory is totally fine.

The girl asked me if I wanted anything from the fridge, where she was standing, door ajar. This whole time, I was staring, mouth open, trying desperately to figure out what the hell was going on. She looked back, an amused smile on her face, head tilted to the side, as if she was asking what was wrong.

Then a heavyset man clambered in. He told the girl off for keeping the fridge open, and with a roll of her eyes, the girl pressed the refrigerator door closed. Then he turned and asked me what the hell my problem was. I guess I looked pretty stupid, staring like that, but my head was not processing anything. I was confused, of course, but also horrified.

I jumped up and immediately ran down to my room, slamming the door shut behind me. On the way, I pushed past an older woman (Mom?) who was adjusting some furniture. She glanced up as I sprinted past her, but she had that same amused look on her face.

I swear to God I'm tripping. What the hell is going on right now?

That's where I am now. Confused as hell, terrified beyond belief. Imagine if this had happened to you. I feel like I'm living in a horror movie. I've always been a paranoid person. But I swear I don't know who these people are.

My phone buzzes. Subconsciously, I check it.

The text from Dad reads, "Sorry we left so early. Your Grandma was sent to the hospital so the rest of us left while you were sleeping. We were all up by then anyway - we'll be home in a few hours, your Grandma is fine."

Just then, a knock on my door. A man speaks.

"Come upstairs. We have a surprise for you."