working next to the morgue

u/The_Bexar_Paladin

~

Just some background info, I am an electrician in South Texas, I've worked all over Central and South Texas doing electrical work and have seen some out of the ordinary stuff.

This instance specifically I wanted to share my story about working in one of the oldest functioning hospitals in my town. This hospital has 2 buildings the original building from the early 1900's I believe, and the newer wing, I have no idea how new. I was working in the basement of the old building. This building was all but vacated save for the library on the third floor( which there are stories from there too) and the basement which housed the morgue. The area I was working in was a small set of offices along a dimly lit hallway with the old maintenance room at one end and the double doors to the morgue at the other. The guy I was working with took me down there lined me out on what to do and took off, presumably because he hated it down there just as much as I did. We had brought our tools and materials down on a dolly that converts to a low four-wheeled cart, it had my toolbox a couple of boxes of material and a 6' ladder on it. The vibe was already pretty creepy when I noticed how quiet it was down there, I had hoped that was because it was slow, which meant hopefully nobodies home (pun intended), but I really didn't know. Trying to stay optimistic I hummed to myself as I worked, sorting through wires on a rack to cut some lengths off, when I heard a sort of metallic THUD behind me. I quickly about-faced to see my cart kind of jostled about but not moving. Rightfully freaked out, I shove the cart up against the wall, as it was between me and the stairs out, and cautiously returned to my work, humming louder. Then, BAM the doors open next to the morgue which I just find out lead outside and a couple of guys push a loaded stretcher into the doors, I shudder as I regain my sanity, having already been freaked out. Again I return to my work, vocally singing now. A few minutes pass and the hairs on my neck start to go down and I damn near mess myself as I, again, hear the metallic THUD, this time much louder, followed by an equally metallic creak I slowly turn to see the cart, one end lifted and as I square my body with the hallway ready to bolt to the stairs the cart drops making the thud again, my feet hit the stairs before I notice the lights had gotten really dim and there was a banging sound coming from the other side of the morgue doors. I made the other guy go get the cart.