chapter 14

It was absolutely ridiculous!

Princess Joanna thought as she stood among lady Victoria-queen of Alexandrian state and Queens of other states named lady Felicity and lady Edith whom she met on her first day in Alexandrian castle.

No wonder, this meet up was as offensive for princess Joanna as was the first one.

"So honey! Enlighten me about your opinion regarding my son's proposal," lady Victoria didn't let this chance slip out of her hand on seeing princess during the ceremony and cornered her for this unpleasant interrogation,"I'm sure I'm gonna get positive signal." She smiled sharing knowing glances at the other two ladies.

Before princess Joanna could form some words, lady Felicity interjected,"oh yes dear,"she placed her hand on princess' shoulder,"prince Raine Hastings is nothing but a jewel. And I know there won't be any regret."

Raine Hastings.

Princess repeated the name in her mind which felt wrong.

Princess was finding it really hard to deny. It was almost impossible to handle the situation again.

She was tired of this proposal. This was why she didn't want to come here on the first place and knowing that the very queen of Alexandrian state wanted to betroth her with her own son. Wasn't it just awful regarding her case.

How could she develop the feelings for anyone other than prince Thomas?

Thomas...

She felt her heart tightening at the thought of him. What is she gonna do if tonight lady Victoria discusses the matter with father on his arrival?

She had to do something about it!

She can't let it prolong anymore..

No more!

She left the ballroom but no before ending the matters with lady Victoria. By straight out denying the proposal.

~~~~~

An urgent knock at the door woke Skye up from her deep slumber and she groaned in half unconscious state but then rubbed her knuckles on eyelids to provoke them for opening.

Couple of knocks followed and skye opened the door and her eyebrows scrunched up at seeing lady Joanna standing in night gown.

Unruly hair covering her shoulders that looked like she had been running her fingers through them for unlimited times. As if she hadn't been sleeping all along.

Skye's suspicion got confirmed when she saw swollen under eyes accompanied by faint dark circles.

"Lady, y-you I mean h-what happened?"she asked worriedly, moving aside to let her in but lady stayed rooted to her spot which Skye found weird,"is everything alright, my lady?"

Princess lowered her gaze at the floor and sighed.

It wasn't usually the case that she would come around at Skye's door at midnight and wake her up abruptly. She almost found guilty to do that but now she couldn't just turn back around. She had to deal with her situation now.

It was now or never.

"I-i came to ask you to accompany me tonight." She explained. Her shoulders stiff unlike other times.

Upon seeing Skye's scrunched up nose, she added to remove her confusion,"I want you to sleep in my room tonight. I- uh,"she ran her hand through her neck lowering her gaze again,"I can't sleep when I'm the only one in that chamber. It feels empty and.." she ran out of words.

Skye felt like princess was trying to give reasons for her another anxiety attack and her insomnia was again taking a toll on her which only happened when lady was thinking too much.

So she followed her without a word to her chambers to finally get to bed and go to sleep. It was really hard to stay awake knowing how tired she was after the ball and her eyelids we're drooping on their own accord.

The ceremony was still going on when princess called her and decided to go to the ladies chambers because she wasn't feeling good. After taking permission from the queens- whom she was engaged in conversation with- she made her way to chambers bringing Skye along and called it a night.

To Skye's surprise, lady dismissed her to sleep before Skye could give her some medication. But again Skye could understand what princess must be going through regarding prince Thomas situation when here she was getting matched with other princes.

Lady laid down on her soft metris while Skye took her place on the carpeted floor, soon to be called by princess to lay beside the princess. She didn't wanna bother princess but after her insistence, she finally gave in and climbed up the bed beside princess.

After a little while her breathing evened out with a slow rise and fall of her chest which was covered in smooth black silk night gown.

~~~~

A lady in dark colored overalls fled out of the castle from the woods where no guard usually got appointed for duty. And tonight was ball night and it was highly possible that guards were enjoying the night with alcohol instead of guarding the doors of the castle.

Prince Thomas could make out a frame of a lady walking up towards him with dark hood covering her face. She was taking hurried but cautious steps and soon enough reached up to him.

My love!

He engulfed her in his tight embrace and she stifled a shriek which threatened to escape her lips at this moment.

"You made it!" Words escaped his lips in utter bliss.

"We made it." He repeated while looking at the dark Skye that was littered with millions of stars praying in unison with him the prayers of gratitude.

He heard a sob and his eyes moistened as they're both smiled. Within no time he helped her climb up the carriage along with him and driver took off the carriage to their destination in dark secret night under he brightly lit moon that was silently watching them.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••