XX. A dangerous place

Cara

The bell gave a small ring as I pushed the glass door open. The place hadn't changed a bit, the same earthy smell -which was probably marijuana- , the same clutter, the same dim light illuminating the same smoky atmosphere. Kogo's shop was exactly the same as the first time I had visited, nothing was out of place.

I could have sworn that that was the same glass of water I had seen during my last visit sitting at the table by the candles.

"Is she expecting us?"I asked Alice. My question was quickly answered but not by her.

"I am," the voice came from the top of the spiral staircase. There at the top of the metal flight of stairs stood Kogo. In her hand she balanced a tall stack of old looking books.

She climbed down, enthusiasm in her voice as she spoke ," I have been expecting you, Cara. When you stepped out of my shop I knew our paths would cross again. You have questions. I know this time you will be more open minded."

She was right, I had questions, many of them. When Alice could not answer them she told me that we should go to her grandmother and now here we were.

The well aged woman placed the dusty books on the table and picked up the glass. She moved it closer to her mouth.

Her face immediately scrunched up. "Oops! That's not water..." She looked around and spotted another glass with a clear liquid on the shelf," here it is. I should really label these."

After getting some water Kogo turned the sign on the door, indicating to those outside that the shop was now closed and led us to the back of the shop, the reading room. She told me she preferred it if we talked back there rather than at the front.

She poured herself a drink, I guessed that it was vodka from its physical similarity to water. She offered me some but I politely declined. I needed to be clear-minded right now more than ever.

"You are not alone in the world, you only think you are. There exists more creatures than can be imagined, the gods are not as boring as you may think, they have proven to be very creative in their work. There are humans, werewolves and vampires and many many more, most of whom lurk in the shadows hiding away from your kind."

She paused, pushed away the scarf I had wrapped around my neck and took a good look at the healing scar caused by Hoff's attack.

What attacked you was a vampire, I am sure. The two incisions inches apart are a clear indication. Different creatures leave different marks. Witches leave no mark unless they want to, we don't beat anybody, werewolves tear their prey apart like barbecue."

She stood up from the cushions and left the room. We heard noises from the other room before she returned with a small black bottle. She handed it to me.

I studied the milky solution in the bottle. "Is this milk?"

"Some kind. Apply a modest amount on the scar, it will go away. I doubt you need the sleeping draught, you weren't bitten long enough. I assume the creature pulled out quickly after biting you," she said. I tried hard to catch up and make sense of what she was saying.

"Yes. How did you know?"I questioned, puzzled.

"Someone who cares for you very much has taken measures for your protection, your blood is not exactly tasty at the moment," she pointed at the pendant hanging from my neck.

Ivan gave this to me.

Despite recent events, I had not had the heart to take off the necklace.

"It would seem a certain lycanthrope has become very protective of you, you being his chosen after all."

"Chosen? I don't follow." I responded, confused.