XXXIII. The rain

Cara

The weight of all that had happened that day crushed my chest causing me a physical pain. Heaving, I collapsed onto the plush comforter. The beddings recieved me and comfort spread over me.

My eyes shut and I began to drift off into the land of slumber - one of the best places known to troubled people. The feeling of solace however proved to be ephemeral. I was quickly brought back. Remembering that I was not at home and definitely not on my bed, my eyes snapped open. I was far from home.

Sitting up on the luxurious queen sized, four-poster bed , I looked around the room again. I had hardly gotten a chance to look around before. Ivan had escorted me here and had quickly left. He clearly had other business to attend to. And it made me feel like... an inconvenience.

My room was more than sizeable. It was huge. It was different from the room I had slept in the last time I had been here. That room was on the floor below the one I was presently in.

Whoever had designed the place had managed to make the rarely used white and gold theme look splendid. It was astounding. The ivory walls were generously decorated with painting and breathtaking artwork.

The furniture was all wooden and so were the fours doors except for one that led to balcony. Everything was so extravagant. Though beautiful,  it was a little too fancy for my taste.

He didn't strike me as the ostentatious type...

Even surrounded surrounded by all this, all I wanted was to go home and see my father and my friend. Tears ran down my cheeks in hot rivulets but I wiped them away.

A soft knock sounded at the door. I rubbed my eyes, took a few deep breaths and went to see who it was.

My hand rested on the knob hesitantly till I turned it and the pulled.

Ivan stood there. He had changed out of his suit and now wore a grey t-shirt and black sweatpants. The outfit gave him an aura of calmness yet his nature was anything but. When he wanted to, he could be the rain and the thunder. The whole storm.

"You're crying..." he said. It did not take a genius to tell that I been crying. My eyes already felt puffy.

He moved in but I backed up, not letting him touch me. He looked away then refocused his gaze on me once again. "You haven't eaten. Come have dinner."

"I'm not hungry." At a time such as this, the last thing on my mind was food.

"Starving yourself will help nothing."

"I said I'm not hungry."

Suddenly an animalistic sound reverberated from deep within his chest. The growl made my breath hitch. I felt my heart rate go up and my chest tighten.

I took a step back. I was not foolish to forget that he was a beast.

"Fine. I will leave you for now," he told me. " We depart in the morning. Someone will come and help you prepare. Be ready at eight sharp." And then he walked away.

I watched silently as he walked away. I must admit,  he did look good, both coming and going. It was not until he was out of view that I re-entered my room.