XXXIX. The fire of the sun

Cara

Apparently, the castle had no proper cell signal. Brienne had informed me that the country had a large invisible dome around it that prevented interference from the outside world. The dome also messed with most satellite signals. Hence, I had no way what-so-ever of communicating with my father.

My separation from the outside world left me wandering around. Again and again, I found myself at the castle's humongous library.

I entered through the only door and walked past the front desk. Contrary to the common stereotype, the librarian was not an elderly, four-eyed, gray-haired woman. In the woman's place sat a tall, lean man with black rimmed spectacles.

He caught me staring, his piercing gaze slowing my feet into a sudden halt.

"May I help you?" He raised his jet black, well-trimmed eyebrows questioningly. His eyes raked me from shoes to hair and I could not resist the temptation to look down too.

He gazed fixedly at my pale blue three-quarter length dress and flat, brown sandals. I'd learnt that around here, when it comes to fashion, plain dresses were the way to go.

Certain outfits meant certain things too. Hand-maidens commonly wore white dresses with exposed backs. Serving boys also clad white on many occasions.

"No, I'm just here to check out the books," I explained, but his stare did not falter.

"I've never seen you around here, who are you with?"

"Ummh ? Who am I with?"

"Yes. Name your master," he ordered." And be quick with it."

My jaw clenched at his rudeness and I reminded myself that I was a stranger in their home and a stranger to their customs and courtesies.

He moved out from behind his desk and emerged before me. I noted the dagger dangling from his leather pants.

Perhaps it would have been a good idea for me to carry around my weapon too.

I thought back at the modified lacrosse stick I frequently carried  to protect myself. It was back in my room.

The man pursed his lips, awaiting my answer with clear impatience.  He looked more than eager to use his blade on me.

Did they do that kind of thing around here? Or was he also just looking for a way to protect himself?

I'd been told that this wing of the castle was extremely safe. Maybe I was ill-informed.

"I am a guest of the king," I told him. He looked at me skeptically, eventually nodding when I did not show any signs of untruth.

I went past him, stopping dead in my tracks when I spotted a certain curly-haired boy, nose deep in an old book. I called him," Aeren ?"

His head shot up at the sound of my voice, a smile instantly plastering itself on his lips.

"Oh my God! Cara Matthews!"

The male librarian immediately turned to us, throwing Aeren a threatening gaze. A warning. Aeren said nothing to him and spoke to me again, this time in a lower tone. "I'd heard of you being here, I just wasn't so sure."

"You'd heard?"

"Of course. You are the talk of the town. People are raving on about the king's special human guest."

His emphasis on the words 'special' and 'human' did not sit well with me.

"But I just got here yesterday?" He took a chair from one of the other tables and set it at his desk, gesturing for me to join him. I did so. There was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity to talk to the only person I knew around here.

The Darkest EternitiesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara