Chapter VIII

Silver flakes drifted down, glittering in the bright light of the harvest moon. The trees swayed with the cold winter breeze. It looked so magical in this world.

I glanced up at the starry night sky and inhale the crisp, cool air. A puff of smoke escaped from my lips as I exhale.

I took a sip on the coffee but I remembered that it wasn't hot. Too late the coffee had already entered my mouth. "Stars, it's fucking cold."

"Thank the mother moon you finally had notice," a voice said behind me. "Let's seat near the fire, Lady Lewis."

I looked at my shoulder and stared at this handsome young captain. His hair color looked midnight under the moon and stars while his eyes shined in gold color.

"I'm talking about the coffee. It's already cold." I looked forward and stared at the distance. "If you want to go back then be my guest, I'll stay here a little longer."

I didn't feel cold actually, not even my face.

We were at the end of the camp which was more secluded and quiet. I glanced at Reed and sighed. How can I make him shut his mouth? He's guarding me in case I run and been talking to me.

"Coffee? The one you're holding?" The Captain asked cutting my train of thoughts.

"Mmh-hmm," I hummed as a yes. "It's pretty good. But it's cold and all." I just preferred this kind of coffee to be hot.

I looked at Reed and found him staring at the cup in pure curiosity. For him it's probably a weird shaped for a drinking cup.

"Hey," I grabbed his attention, "how about you help me in reheating this. Then I could let you taste it if you want." I grinned at him and to my idea.

He agreed immediately and told me that there's one fire magician that could turn my coffee hot in an instant.

"Pretty powerful too," Reed added.

"Then lead the way, captain."

Reed smiled and walked towards the camp. We entered in a tent that I was familiar with. Hulk was the first one who noticed us, he was currently wrapping a clean cloth on a soldier's head. He immediately sends me dagger glare which I in reply, I stuck out my tongue at him.

The Captain saw us and laughed. "You two are like children. Especially, you Fergus."

Shamed, Hulk apologized. "I'm sorry, sir." When he finished bandaging his fellow knight he joined us. "Captain, are you looking for someone?"

The Captain scanned the tent. "Where is he? He should be here," he said. There were ten makeshift beds on both sides, some soldiers who's wound wasn't deep were seated on the ground waiting to be healed.

Guilt forming inside me. I should help them and just swallow my pride. I looked down knowing that Hulk was staring at me.

"His Majesty was here a while ago. The Marip girl collapsed after healing two of our men. He carried her to his tent to recover there and will be back.

Well, look at that. The powerful fire magician was the king himself. I better be more careful around him. He might set me on fire within a distance.

"Surprised?" Axel asked.

I turned my head towards him. "Quite. So, the great fire magician had rescued the damsel in the stress."