Study Session

Loki and I took breakfast in the smaller dining room. During it I found that I flushed every time I caught Loki's eyes on me, which was quite often. Loki seemed to think it was funny, chuckling to himself, which didn't help my blush at all considering just how handsome he was when he laughed. I loved the way his jewel-like eyes crinkled and how his white teeth would flash or how his thin lips would twist into a smug, yet pleasant look. I liked the lightness of his expression. I'd seen that genuine, light, almost joyful look in his eyes more over the last few days than I have over the last year... it made him all the more strikingly attractive. Who am I kidding? He's always almost unbearably handsome.

As we ate Loki explained to me what his plans for him and I were for the day. As king he had set time aside for him to personally instruct me in the ways of Asgard, especially the ins and outs of the court. Considering that he was king and that I was his daughter-in-law and would be taking up the role of companion to the king and a ladyship, it made sense that the Allfather would train me in my new duties and in the culture of Asgard. No one would bat an eye at that.

After my instruction, though, he had several meetings for the afternoon with generals and the like. Apparently these meetings would surround preparations for the returning soldiers and some of the meetings were for the set up of my upcoming ceremony. Loki going off to these kingly meetings would mean that I would be left alone. I planned on continuing in the library, reading up on anything and everything I could. I'd always been a good student and considering the utter massiveness of the library, I had a lot to learn.

After these meetings, Loki mentioned a dinner. Apparently some ambassadors from Vanaheim had some business with the Allfather they wanted to discuss over dinner. Loki had agreed to the dinner arrangement in a letter sent yesterday. To my surprise, one of the ambassadors had invited me to join in as well.

"They invited me?" I asked, putting my spoon back down into its bowl of porridge. Why in the heck would they want me to come? I'd only been in Asgard a few days and so far Loki and maybe the seamstress, Bil, seemed to like me! Why would they want a nobody Midgardian girl like me to join them for their business dinner with the Allfather?

"'The Midgardian lady-to-be and future companion to the Allfather is invited as well if she does not have any other engagements for the evening meal. We wish to properly greet the newest member of the Aesir court and to offer proper felicitations from Vanaheim.' Is what the letter said." Loki recalled from memory, "I accepted the invitation for you in my reply. I hope you don't mind."

"It's very kind of them to think to invite me, but..." my voice trailed off.

Loki leaned forward in his seat at the head of the breakfast table. "But what, darling?"

"Do you think it's okay if I'm there? I mean, I know nothing of what they want to discuss with you. Won't I just be in the way? I'd feel kind of awkward just sitting there silently eating and not being able to contribute anything."

"If it was not alright for you to be there, they would not have invited you and I certainly wouldn't have accepted in your stead if I felt like you would be disrespected or unwanted. It may be a bit dull for you, but considering who these ambassadors are, I think you will find them amusing." Loki assured me before smirking to himself, taking a bite of ham, "Valhalla knows that I find them to be greatly amusing."

I nodded, "Alright then."

"Excellent, I'll be sure to send a messenger for you when our dinner engagement is ready."

When we finished eating, Loki led me back to the library so we could really begin my lessons. If I was to become a lady of the court at the end of this week, I needed to learn the ins and outs of the Aesir's palace. As we entered the labyrinth of books once more I felt my cheeks heating up and it was difficult for me to look over at Loki as he strolled through the library, plucking out books from its shelves as if he naturally knew where all the ones he wanted were, as if he'd memorized each and every book in these vast shelves. How much time had he spent here if he knew the contents of these shelves so well?